How Do I Cut Aluminum

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
I have a six foot piece of aluminum angle "iron". The aluminum is 1/16" thick and the two wings are 1 1/2". I want to cut some 2" pieces to use as brackets for a support beam. I want the cuts to be square, smooth and even so using a hand held hack saw is not an option. How can I cut this angle iron? Is it possible and safe to use a carbide tipped saw blade on a miter saw? Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I don't like the idea of big teeth hitting 1/16" thick material. Get an X-Acto type saw at a hobby or crafts store. They sometimes come with a miter box; just make sure the box is wide enough to hold the 1 1/2" wings. 2nd choice would be a 20+ TPI backsaw or dovetail saw in a miter box. The aluminum won't damage any woodworking teeth.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
We cut all kinds of aluminum at work with a miter saw and a special carbide blade.
After you are done you will want to clean the saw extremely well so you don’t get metal chips in your wood work.

Echd

C
User
I just use a general purpose but junky 12" miter saw blade. I've used my nicer blades too at times when I was too lazy to change it for just one part.

It's a lot scarier the first few times but do make sure to secure your pieces very well. But woodworking tools generally do okay in aluminum... although you shouldn't use your resawing bandsaw for it.

Shouldn't need to be said but wear eye protection.

ssmith

New User
Scott
I’ve cut 2” aluminum H channel about that thickness using a Dewalt miter saw. It worked fine using normal blade rotation. Recommend a 80 tooth carbide blade and plunging the saw very slowly.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I use an 80-tooth blade and then deburr on the 1" belt sander. I cut the material more slowly than I do with wood.

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Like everyone above said. I use 1 cordless saw with an old fine tooth blade. It works well on less than 5/16" thick stock otherwise a miter saw

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
I just use a general purpose but junky 12" miter saw blade. I've used my nicer blades too at times when I was too lazy to change it for just one part.

It's a lot scarier the first few times but do make sure to secure your pieces very well. But woodworking tools generally do okay in aluminum... although you shouldn't use your resawing bandsaw for it.

Shouldn't need to be said but wear eye protection.
And wear a long sleeve shirt

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I have a six foot piece of aluminum angle "iron". The aluminum is 1/16" thick and the two wings are 1 1/2". I want to cut some 2" pieces to use as brackets for a support beam. I want the cuts to be square, smooth and even so using a hand held hack saw is not an option. How can I cut this angle iron? Is it possible and safe to use a carbide tipped saw blade on a miter saw? Any advice or help would be appreciated.
Try Homer’s for fine tooth Diablo blades for Al and Fe.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
And don't try this on a SawStop without putting the flesh sensor in the bypass mode.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
I find my reciprocating saw makes very quick work of alum angle. Clamp in a vise and cut away.

Gutterman68

New User
Alan
I would use a hacksaw with a good blade, and lubricate the blade with candle wax. I used to work at a place that had machines that cut aluminum downspouts all day. We usually had special blades ordered for the purpose, but often had to find something local between orders. We would buy a woodworking blades with as many teeth as we could find, and put the blade on the saw BACKWARDS. Wear hearing and eye protection, a long sleeve shirt not tucked in, and a scarf. You will be shocked at how much aluminum shavings will come out

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Here is what the cut from a Diablo blade for Al on a table saw looks like:
61E1D70C-B7F7-4099-A4F2-8C97D193974C.jpeg

AD685327-5FD0-4FDF-B90C-C5C2B9F5E2E5.jpeg

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
I would use a hacksaw with a good blade, and lubricate the blade with candle wax. I used to work at a place that had machines that cut aluminum downspouts all day. We usually had special blades ordered for the purpose, but often had to find something local between orders. We would buy a woodworking blades with as many teeth as we could find, and put the blade on the saw BACKWARDS. Wear hearing and eye protection, a long sleeve shirt not tucked in, and a scarf. You will be shocked at how much aluminum shavings will come out
Username checks out.

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
I used a Freud blade for non-ferrous metal in my miter saw when I cut parts for my CNC machine with zero problems.
The cuts were flat plate 1/2" thick and up to 8" wide, 2" x 2" aluminum angle 1/8" thick, and square tubing 1" square by 1/16" thick.
I made sure to clamp everything solid and sprayed the cut with a little WD-40 for lubrication.
I was a little hesitant at first, but after a couple of cuts I was cutting with no problems or hesitation.
The cuts were smooth and chip free.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I used a Freud blade for non-ferrous metal in my miter saw when I cut parts for my CNC machine ...
With the Diablo blade one has to start the cut really gently. If you jam the Al into the blade, it may suffer some tooth loss.

mpeele

michael
User
I use a Freud LM89M012 12" blade in a miter saw. Be sure to securely clamp material. I the blade a shot of WD40 every couple of cuts. Scarf goes everywhere and dust collection is not very effective so I wear a face shield. I have cut 1/2" just fine but Freud says 1/4" max.
Any blade with a negative hook angle will work very well. Positive hook angle blades tend to cut rough and you can damage teeth.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS