Hot Glue question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhreed

New User
james
I want to use hot glue to fasten templates to work pieces. I want to be able to easily remove the templates without ruining the work piece with glue residue. Is there any such glue stick? What is it and where can I get it.
Thanks
James

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
The general purpose low temp hot glue releases from smooth surfaces pretty easily, but I would be worried about it releasing the template while using it.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I use 3M/Scotch Poster Tape (a repositionable double-sided tape) to temporarily attach templates, available at most office supply stores. I've never had any problems with respect to the adhesive or unwanted movement. For smaller templates, 2-3 strips an inch-and-half long is all you need, larger templates typically need less tape per unit area, just locate strips evenly spaced around the perimeter.

I have several hot glue guns, but have never tried them in my woodworking.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I use a few pieces of double side carpet tape and a heat gun/putty knife when it gets ornery to loosen it. I've never done it but try to melt a small blob of hot glue with a hairdryer. Hide glue will loosen nicely when heated.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I use a few pieces of double side carpet tape and a heat gun/putty knife when it gets ornery to loosen it. I've never done it but try to melt a small blob of hot glue with a hairdryer. Hide glue will loosen nicely when heated.

I thought about suggesting hide, but it is a lot of trouble to go to if you aren't already using it.

As far as heat to loosen joint, I like this product as it is a nice size, only $10 (plus shipping; but you can find similar ones in craft stores).

And their product documentation is a must read. Pretty funny stuff. :gar-Bi

cpw

New User
Charles
I've always used carpet tape. Generally the cheap plastic stuff releases a lot easier than the more expensive woven style tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS