Horse Intarsia wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

AudreyO

New User
AudreyO
Hello all, I am DaveO's wife and he instructed me to log on and request what I wanted instead of making him do it :). I really like intarsia work and would like to give the lady that runs the charity I volunteer for a piece for Christmas. She does amazing work running the charity "Reins From Above" and I thought she would really like something with a horse/western theme.
Any ideas?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
What a great idea Boo. There are many wonderful Intarsia artists here that hopefully can help you out.
Please :eusa_pray:eusa_pray:eusa_pray

Dave:)

AudreyO

New User
AudreyO
Dave just said my avatar looked like I had a back problem. So please help the poor soul that has to put up with Dave O and has back problems :kermit:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome Audrey, when you get a chance stop by the who we are forum and tell us a little about yourself, like how you put up with DaveO:rotflm:.

I am sure someone will jump in soon and answer your request.

cskipper

Cathy
Audrey, you are amazing for putting up with DaveO. I stink at intarsia, but we do have several folks who are very good at it. One question that I am sure will be asked is how detailed you want it to be. The are patterns that could be several pieces up to those with hundreds of pieces. Do you have a pattern in mind?

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Audrey, glad to have you on board - would this be something you would be interested in? If so PM me - the pattern looks like it is about a 14*16 project - the designer is Annja Starrett

Phillip

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Does it need to be Intarsia? How about something like this?

smiler01.jpg

I do not have this piece but I still have the pattern.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Dave just said my avatar looked like I had a back problem. So please help the poor soul that has to put up with Dave O and has back problems :kermit:
Audrey, is that a peach colored jacket you're wearing in your avatar.......:eusa_thin:eusa_doh::rotflm:

WELCOME!!!!!!!

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
AudreyO, welcome a board. Not my cup of tea but I'm sure someone can help you out. Granted if all else fails LOML and I might be able to burn something for you. :gar-Bi

Phillip, that's a cool looking pattern.

Scott, that's a really nice piece, I love how the grain pattern plays right into the design. :icon_thum

Brian.

AudreyO

New User
AudreyO
Dave (and all the nice people that replied back) is going to kill me but after thinking about it, maybe this would be a perfect opportunity for me to learn how to use Dave's scroll saw and see what I can do. I loved ideas in the replies though. Truly beautiful. I come from a long line of woodworkers so maybe I have a hidden talent (stop laughing Dave). This will also give me a chance to infiltrate man-land. :saw:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Here is one I did:

horsehead.jpg

It's actually segmentation (all cut from the same board and then shaped, stained and glued to a backer board) and not true intarsia (where the different color pieces are different types of wood), but the pattern is an intarsia pattern.

BTW, if you do segmentation, you do want to use a scroll saw and a very thin blade. Otherwise the kerf affects the fit on curved pieces.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
AudreyO, that sounds like a good idea. As you probably already know it's an addictive hobby and can consume an awful lot of time and money.:gar-La;

Maybe you can convince LOYL to unleash a couple of the elves to give you a hand!!! :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Brian.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Here is one I did:

horsehead.jpg

It's actually segmentation (all cut from the same board and then shaped, stained and glued to a backer board) and not true intarsia (where the different color pieces are different types of wood), but the pattern is an intarsia pattern.

BTW, if you do segmentation, you do want to use a scroll saw and a very thin blade. Otherwise the kerf affects the fit on curved pieces.

WOW! Andy that is a great looking segmentation = nice job:icon_thum

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Dave (and all the nice people that replied back) is going to kill me but after thinking about it, maybe this would be a perfect opportunity for me to learn how to use Dave's scroll saw and see what I can do. I loved ideas in the replies though. Truly beautiful. I come from a long line of woodworkers so maybe I have a hidden talent (stop laughing Dave). This will also give me a chance to infiltrate man-land. :saw:

note to self, never encourage my wife to sign up for ncwwer lest she may take over my tools!:rotflm:

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I come from a long line of woodworkers so maybe I have a hidden talent (stop laughing Dave). This will also give me a chance to infiltrate man-land. :saw:

Uh oh Dave, watch out! You'll need a bigger shop before too much longer!

Welcome aboard Audrey, just get DaveO to show you where he hides his elves. They do pretty impressive work.

sapwood

New User
Roger
. . . .
I come from a long line of woodworkers so maybe I have a hidden talent (stop laughing Dave). This will also give me a chance to infiltrate man-land. :saw:

Infiltrating man-land is a great idea . . . but having your own shop and tools would be even better :widea:

Start by reading all of Bas posts on acquiring tools :mrgreen:

Great to have you posting Audrey :icon_thum

Another enabler,
Roger

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
ah ha! A spy!:elvis: how dare you daveO? off witt ur head!:rotflm: welcome aboard audrey.:icon_thum I'm sure daveypoo will share his shop witt u.:wink_smil sorry I cant help but then the wifey says I'm no help at all so.....:gar-Bi

R

rickc

Welcome, Audrey! Just wondering - how long it will take YOU to hit 10K? :gar-Bi

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS