Hornet Spray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Another bio-degradable that will work, altho I don't know how best to deliver it to a hornet nest in a tree is good ol' WD-40. Soak it with that and they will abandon the nest. Also works to deter paper wasps and mud daubers form building nests under eaves, under decks etc, as does Thompson's water seal. Have used both with good results.

Go

cpw

New User
Charles
I have a nest of European Hornets inside a tree not far from my door. Does anyone know the best spray to use? I wouldn't worry too much, except I'll be cutting the tree down this winter, and we can't turn on our front porch light without attracting dozens of them.

I've always used whatever was cheapest at the BORG or Wally World, but when I worked for the power company we used Bee Bopper. I never had to use it, but some of the other guys had some pretty harrowing war stories about shooting nests built on meter boxes and transformers. They all swore by it. They said that as soon as any of the spray or mist touched them they dropped to the ground and were dead in a matter of seconds. I was also told to pay attention to the wind because you DO NOT want to catch any in the face.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
BTW, the case law cited above ultimately went in favor of both defendants upon appeal so their was no $3 million judgment awarded to the plaintiffs despite the initial findings of an apparently misinformed and emotional jury. That's dangerous and typical of a jury trial, but cooler and better informed judges prevailed. That being said it wasn't without $ costs to the defendants so it's a roll of the dice.

You're right; rereading it, I am somewhat surprised the plaintiffs won the first round since they were getting regular bug treatments and there was no obvious nest. But knowing a nest exists and posting about it in a public forum would put this in a different light. I would not risk it.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
You're right; rereading it, I am somewhat surprised the plaintiffs won the first round since they were getting regular bug treatments and there was no obvious nest. But knowing a nest exists and posting about it in a public forum would put this in a different light. I would not risk it.

I have to agree with you. A subtle point in the case law that you cited is the differentiation between "injury inflicted as a result of negligence and injury resulting from nature for which the defendant is not liable". The appeals courts applied the latter in these cases.

30 yards from the front porch could be dicey. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS