homemade mortiser

BKHam

Bradley
User
this is a copy in some regards to a youtube video i saw by Phil Morley. the X Y table uses linear ball bearings and were an absolute pain to get square. they do contact the router face plate at the same time so its as square as i can get it. the router goes up and down on another set of linear bearings and goes up and down on a threaded rod.

you can see the stops are just simple wing nuts and i lock the router in place with the knob on the side.

i used the microjig match fit dovetail clamps to attach the workpiece to the tables. If you dont have any of these, you are missing out. they are my favorite small clamps in addition to the dovetail usages. i've made TS jigs using these and they hold my work piece, especially small ones, in place while my fingers are safely somewhere else.

i need to add dust collection somehow.

i've done one test cut and the mortise was perfect.

m1.jpg
m2.jpg
m2.jpg
m3.jpg

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Interesting, inspiring, - and nicely done.

I have considered a similar project, and in fact have a few pieces in a stack somewhere in my shop that I need to try to assemble in to a working prototype. Won't approach the level of sophistication of yours though. But provides inspiration - thanks!

BKHam

Bradley
User
Nicely done.

Now I all the sudden have to have some of those dovetail clamps.

seems like they are 35 or 40$ for 2 of them which is steep but man i search them out everytime when i just need 1 or 2 small clamps.

BKHam

Bradley
User
Interesting, inspiring, - and nicely done.

I have considered a similar project, and in fact have a few pieces in a stack somewhere in my shop that I need to try to assemble in to a working prototype. Won't approach the level of sophistication of yours though. But provides inspiration - thanks!

i bumbled thru it to some extent. my advice, assemble in the opposite order i did. get the router support part created, square to the edge, square to the table and then build the work piece tables to be square to that. if you get linear bearings, beware of the clearances on everything. made in china.....

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Bradley, check out Matthias Wandel on Youtube. He has made some fantastic machines out of wood. He has a slot mortiser similar to yours and he also made a Panto-Router to make mortises and matching tenons. You have the skill to make one.

Roy G

awldune

Sam
User
This is Matthias' slot mortiser:

A different approach, keeping the workpiece stationary. The pantorouter is an evolution of the same basic concept.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS