Homebuilt case for surface plate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nblong

New User
Bruce
Anyone have ideas on building a carrying/storage case for a granite surface plate? Woodcraft had them on sale so I got one. We'll see if it helps with sharpening. The problem is that it's big (2x9x12) and HEAVY! I haven't weighed it but the Woodcraft guy seemed to think it was 20 lbs or so. I have a one-car garage and not a lot of room so there's really no place to leave it out. I'd want it to be sturdy of course and have a handle but also perhaps waterproof? Google doesn't seem to have plans that I can find or even an example of one I could use as a template. Any thoughts?

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Gut an old drill case or whatever case. Fill it with that canned foam. Machine out the size for your granite plus alittle wiggle room. Line it with something like plastisol or liquid tape. Just a thought.:icon_scra:eusa_thin

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I don't get it. A case would just make it bigger and heavier. And why waterproof? It's a rock :icon_scra
Just put it under your workbench or wherever you have room. It won't melt :wink_smil

I use mine when I rough cut project parts. I stack and sticker them and put the plate on top as a weight while they acclimate to the shop. It also make a good cutting/serving surface for in shop Hors d'oeuvre's!!!

pete

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I like the idea Salem showed, but I didn't have room on my bench so I mounted a granite plate in a very sturdy drawer underneath. That way it's readily available, but not in the way when I don't need it.

BCS059.JPG

View image in gallery

Bill Clemmons

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Hey Bill - I like your drawer idea.
What kind of drawer support/rails did you use?
Details, Details, Details, . . .

pete

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

pete
It's hard to tell from the pic, but there is a dado/groove in the sides of the drawer which runs on a wooden runner in the support frame. The drawer sides are poplar and the bottom is 3/4 plywood dado'd into the sides. The support frames are screwed to the underside of the bench, then I added a corner bracket just to reinforce it. Its probably overkill, but I didn't want to take any chances of that granite plate dropping.

Here's a pic with the drawer closed.

I'll try to take a few more close up pics this afternoon and post them tonight.

Bill

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

pete
Here ya go, Pete, as promised. Detail pics of the drawer holding the granite plate. This shows the runners supporting the drawer.

This is the underside showing how the supports are attached to the bottom of the bench. In the last post I said I used a corner bracket. I was mistaken: I used another piece of oak to reinforce it.

This is the drawer fully open. The sides actually extend under the bench another six inches for support. It's pretty sturdy when I use it for sharpening.

Bill Clemmons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS