Home made lathe and articulated arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdMorgano

New User
Ed
Here are a few pictures from back in April/May when I built my latest lathe. This is about the 5th one that I've done adding improvements each time. Thanks for looking.​

DSCF8910.JPG

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Wow Ed. Very impressive. What's even more impressive is you've built 5! :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

C.

Kalai

New User
Chris Kalai Allen
Hi Ed, that is a real nice looking lathe you built, it looks like you built a few other tools in your shop, did you build the belt sander too? What other tools did you build, also what do you use the articulated arm for?
I saw your post of your turnings too and they look great. I built one of the lathes that I have, it is made out of steel though, it has a 4' 8" turning capacity, I made it just for turning bowls.
Keep up the good work and aloha from Hawaii.

Chris "Kalai"

EdMorgano

New User
Ed
Hi Ed, that is a real nice looking lathe you built, it looks like you built a few other tools in your shop, did you build the belt sander too? What other tools did you build, also what do you use the articulated arm for?
I saw your post of your turnings too and they look great. I built one of the lathes that I have, it is made out of steel though, it has a 4' 8" turning capacity, I made it just for turning bowls.
Keep up the good work and aloha from Hawaii.

Chris "Kalai"

Chris,
The only other machine that I've built for my shop is a CNC router with a 27"x48" capacity. The other machines, including the belt sander are either old machines that i built bases for or store bought.

Ed

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
"...including the belt sander are either old machines that i built bases for or store bought.

Ed"

Nice work Ed. I guess I have a shop full of "store bought" equipment that until now I had not considered 2nd class. Seeing what you build, I am rethinking my assessment.

I 'll have to re-read your articulated arm stuff carefully. I'd like to try hollow forms, but don't have any tolling or the cash to purchase the 'systems' out there.

Henry W

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Ed, what you gonna do with a lathe that sturdy? Planning to turn some stumps from Scott Smith! :gar-Bi

EdMorgano

New User
Ed
Ed, what you gonna do with a lathe that sturdy? Planning to turn some stumps from Scott Smith! :gar-Bi

Tom,
I built it to be able to turn some big stuff in the future. The largest thing I've turned so far is a 16" diameter Ambrosia maple bowl that was about 4" Deep. The main problem I had was that I only have a belt drive and the slowest speed is 875 rpm. That was too fast for the rough blank before it was turned so I ended up hanging another motor off the side to slow the speed down to about 430 rpm. That worked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS