Home door fix?

Claus

Claus
User
My older home has had some foundation settling over time. Several doors in my house now swing and rest either open or closed, but won’t stay in place partially open. Does that make sense?
Is there some kind of fix to stop the movement? I’d like to position a door partially open and not have it swing shut or all the way open. Any suggestions or experience with this?

Thanks,
—Claus
(probably just stuck at home too much these days)

JimD

Jim
Senior User
If you have space in the rough opening it may be possible to rehang the door. You would remove the casing from both sides and assess the space to move the jamb of the door to make it vertical. But if the wall is not plumb, the only way for the door to be plumb is to fit oversize jambs that are then scribed and cut to account for the out of plumb walls. Not simple or easy.

If you just want to try more friction it should be possible to remove the hinge pins (you could try just one), bend it slightly, and put it back. It may take more than one but if you can introduce a little friction in the hinge it may allow you to have a door stay where you put it.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
This shows what Jim described. Not trivial.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The first step is to determine which way the hinge side of the door jamb has shifted, using a long level or plumb bob. If the hinges seem straight and plumb, the hinges may be worn considerably (pins really loose allowing the hinge parts to shift) in which case new hinge pins/hinges may help. Other options not involving resetting the jamb, depending on which way it leans and how much, are resetting the hinges, or shims under the ones furthest inwards (i.e. the top or bottom ones would require the thickest shims).

Our bedroom door does the same only in the winter (swings closed). In the summer, the wall shifts enough that it isn't a problem. My solution is an old boot that I use as a door stop.

Another thing that can cause light weight doors to swing closed is air movement when the air handler kicks on. In that case, inducing friction or a door stop are probably the easiest solutions.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is a simple fix - probably not the best but it does work.
Take a hinge pin out, bend it and reinstall. You may have to bend a couple of the pins

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Door jamb/hinges are out of plumb.

Check along outside of hinges and go from there.

The issue is if you move a hinge out, depending on how much, the rest of the door jamb is out of whack......

So I like Phil's idea :cool:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
THere is actually a hinge you can by that you can set swing resistance. But ... not cheap, and I think the smallest is a 4" or 4.5".

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you just want to try more friction it should be possible to remove the hinge pins (you could try just one), bend it slightly, and put it back. It may take more than one but if you can introduce a little friction in the hinge it may allow you to have a door stay where you put it.

First with the correct answer.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
If its moving from a dead stop after you open or close it part way , its not plumb, The only true remedy is to rehang it, but the wall its attached to may be out of plumb.... so thats a big problem

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS