Hollowing out a bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

Dave, and others turning green wood for the first time. I have attached a link to an article for using denatured alcohol to dry green rough turned bowls by the developer Dave Smith.. I have been using this method for more than a year and I have had no failures. It really works.

I highly recommend it. Denatured alcohol is expensive $10+ a gallon but you can dry a lot of bowls. All you need is the alcohol and a 5 gallon bucket with a snug fitting lid for the bowls sizes you are talking about.

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=turning&file=articles_473.shtml

Here is a pictorial article describing the same process.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34370

About all I can say is try it you'll like it!

Mike -- These look like good additions to our Link Library -- If you upload them, I'll get them approved ASAP. Rob

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Mike -- These look like good additions to our Link Library -- If you upload them, I'll get them approved ASAP. Rob

Rob, what do you mean by uploading them? If it means much more than providing the link address I have no idea how to do it....I am of the slide rule generation.....and computer illiterate to boot. To boot is a computer term isn't it?:lol:

M

McRabbet

Go to the Link Library on the Main Menu Bar (or in the sliding Menu) and when the new window comes up, select "Submit a Link" from the choices just above the names of all of the Link Directories. You'll want to choose the "Wood Turning and Carving" Directory when you submit yours.

If you get stuck, I'll submit them for you. Rob

cskipper

Cathy
If the wood is really green expect to literally get wet. I was amazed at how much moisture is thrown from the piece just spinning on the lathe!

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Yeah, but Cathy, slinging those noodles all over the shop is the most fun you can have standing at a lathe. Roughing a green wood blank is so much easier and faster than a comparable blank in dry wood.

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
Just don't turn the walls too thin when it is green if you plan to come back and "true it up". You might go through the wall after the wood moves :BangHead::BangHead: (wonder how I know this....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS