Hole Saw Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
It's about time to abandon my 20 year old ACE Hardware, generic, hole saw kit. I was hoping some of you might have an opinion (or ten opinions!) about any products on the market that seem to work better than something I might pick up at Harbor Freight.

The only requirement I have is that the pilot bit needs to able to be set such that it can be retracted within the saw such that it will not dill a pilot hole. (This is critical at times for making solid, thin discs on my drill press. Most brands seem to allow this (with a set screw) but apparently not all.

Thanks for any thoughts!

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
It's about time to abandon my 20 year old ACE Hardware, generic, hole saw kit. I was hoping some of you might have an opinion (or ten opinions!) about any products on the market that seem to work better than something I might pick up at Harbor Freight.

The only requirement I have is that the pilot bit needs to able to be set such that it can be retracted within the saw such that it will not dill a pilot hole. (This is critical at times for making solid, thin discs on my drill press. Most brands seem to allow this (with a set screw) but apparently not all.

Thanks for any thoughts!

I have a whole Starrett collection, great tools!

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
I have new Freud's Diablo Snap Lock Hole Saw kit, and they worked well for me so far

Last edited:

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
You ought to know by now - I have the Bosch hole saws and they work well for me - with and without the pilot drill.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just go to Lowes and buy the size I need when I need it. Don't use them enough to purchase a whole set. YMMV.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Check out both Ebay and vendors at flea markets for quality hole saws. I have some Lennox, Starret, Craftsman, that I have picked up over the years. When I need a saw, it mainly a choice of which color: white, red, or black.

Gilley23

New User
Bryan
I use hole saws almost on a daily basis and have tried many brands: Lennox, Milwaukee, Greenlee, Harbor Freight. My favorite are the Lennox. They seem to last longer and be a better value for the money. Some of their arbors allow the pilot bit to go all the way through the arbor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors