Hinge Selection advise

kurtwp

New User
Kurt
I have a cabinet that is using 1/2 plywood for the cabinet and the doors are 3/8 plywood. The doors are not inset. The cabinet portion is 3 inches deep. will be used for key storage and a lot of keys. The dimensions of the doors are 24" H x 10" W . Two doors. Suggestion on the type od hinges that can be used. I do not mind if they are seen as the key storage is not out in the open. However, they can't be overbearing either. I tried various sizes of these from home depot but are way too gaudy looking or were not big enough to secure on both pieces. Suggestion?

Kurt

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
You have several options, for this application I'd almost suggest a strap hinge mounted on the outside of the case and door.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
My go-to hinge is the piano hinge. Easy to Aline, strong, easy to install, and almost invisible when closed.

Pop

gritz

New User
Robert
If keys will be hung on the doors, their weight will enter the hinge strength calculation.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not too take away from your woodworking but I have a simple solution. Just this morning we were demoing an office space and I saved a virtually new key storage wall cabinet with a lock. Too nice to toss but I surely do not need it so if you want it it is free and since it is coming out of a government office you paid for it anyway
It is in Raleigh
It would look nice with a cherry veneer

Attachments

• 6CD7DAA4-DFE3-48D3-9D9A-3DE0F891D419.jpeg
    6CD7DAA4-DFE3-48D3-9D9A-3DE0F891D419.jpeg
    883.4 KB · Views: 143
  • 82B60C5D-AD93-4575-9070-71DF5D02D25B.jpeg
    82B60C5D-AD93-4575-9070-71DF5D02D25B.jpeg
    820 KB · Views: 151

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Have you already made the plywood cabinet and the doors are not inset but overlay of some sort. You should give us the outside dimensions of the finished cabinet (width and height) that the 10" w x 20" h doors will be fastened too.
Kurt cabinet.jpg

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
how many keys are you talking about. I have one coming free very soon from an office closure also and I am right down the road.

kurtwp

New User
Kurt
WIll hold up to 55 keys. Current key count 28 and growing. Keys will not be stored on doors.

The outside dimension of the cabinet is 21" width, 24" height, 3" depth. When the doors are placed on top there is about a 3/32 gap between them.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Not too take away from your woodworking but I have a simple solution. Just this morning we were demoing an office space and I saved a virtually new key storage wall cabinet with a lock. Too nice to toss but I surely do not need it so if you want it it is free and since it is coming out of a government office you paid for it anyway
It is in Raleigh
It would look nice with a cherry veneer

the generous Woodworking Santa Clause comes through again, you always have something to pull out of your big red bag.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The doors are not inset.
I redrew the SketchUp model using the new dimensions that you posted yesterday afternoon (post #8). It works if the doors are inset, but if they're on the edge face of the 1/2" thick plywood sides they'll have a gap of 1".

Kurt cabinet.jpg

Kurt cabinet 2.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS