High chair

ShawnS

New User
Shawn
a good friend has asked for a high chair for her daughter, I don't know much about baby stuff I've got some very nice maple and walnut I thought I would use but need an idea to get started, anyone here ever built one? any things to look out for? I know I need something without sharp corners and things like that just not sure on a good design.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
You might ask your friend to see what they have in mind in the way of a high chair. Do they have a furniture style in mind? Are they thinking some sort of classic chair with spindles and such or something more modern like the thing you commonly see in a restaurant or maybe something in the Scandinavian line like the Norwegian Tripp Trapp chair? Do they want something that can keep up with the child as it grows up or are they thinking something more short term?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Good advice from Dave. When I design/build furniture for family or friends, I always start by asking them to show me a picture of roughly what they have in mind. It doesn't have to be exact. Then I ask them, "What would you like different from the picture in your final piece?"

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Last edited:

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Then you'll need a booster seat as the child gets older.

No you won't. The Stokke Tripp Trapp chair is adjustable so it can be used as a normal chair. My son used his until he could sit on a regular chair and have his feet touch the floor. Then it went into his room to be used at his desk. It comes out sometimes when we need an extra chair at the dining table.

The 36 month thing is for the padding, the restraining bar, and the tray but that's all removable. The one we got had a webbing belt thing to keep the kid in place and it went away as soon as he was able to climb up into the chair on his own. No real need for the other stuff.

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
There aren't many of the classic wooden high chairs available today. The Stokke Tripp Trapp is listed as suitable for children up to 36 months old and you'll also need the accessories, etc.

https://www.stokke.com/USA/en-us/accessories/342300.html

With dimensions in one of the pictures.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/wood-high-chair-various-colors/176238.ip

Then you'll need a booster seat as the child gets older.

https://www.tigerchef.com/winco-chb...MI3pea4r6O4AIVgh5pCh0-sA3CEAQYAyABEgJXZ_D_BwE

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
No you won't. The Stokke Tripp Trapp chair is adjustable so it can be used as a normal chair. My son used his until he could sit on a regular chair and have his feet touch the floor. Then it went into his room to be used at his desk. It comes out sometimes when we need an extra chair at the dining table.

The 36 month thing is for the padding, the restraining bar, and the tray but that's all removable. The one we got had a webbing belt thing to keep the kid in place and it went away as soon as he was able to climb up into the chair on his own. No real need for the other stuff.

OK. Did you make your Tripp Trapp? Shawn didn't say how old his friend's kid is but the other stuff would be needed if it's a very young kid (up to 36 months). I guess a 3 or 4 year old could sit in the chair safely without a restraining belt for safety.
Got a picture of your Tripp Trapp?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
OK. Did you make your Tripp Trapp?
Got a picture of your Tripp Trapp?

Thanks.

No. My wife bought it. It looks like the one shown here.

stokke-2017-tripptrapp-agerange_1.jpg

I did do a SketchUp model of it years ago.

Last edited:

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
The Tripp Trapp may not use typical joinery due to the knockdown hardware but nothing especially difficult about it. A simple jig to guide a router with a core box bit for the notches to hold the seat and the footrest. Back slats could be sawn or laminate or stem bent veneers.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Rockler sells the hardware for a tray table etc. I have looked at designing a Maloof style high chair and building it just for the fun of the build. They also sell a set of plans that could be used for dimensions etc. and modified to your specific application.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Woodsmith has an excellent set of plans for building a high chair. Hardware comes from Rockler. Tray is removable and then chair becomes a "youth chair." Built my first for our now 23 year old grand daughter, and have built one for each grand kid / great grand kid since. I remember the look on grand daughter's face when she realized that her hips would no longer let her sit in her chair. Chairs "knock down" for storage.

ShawnS

New User
Shawn
Thanks guys, Talked to her today and she said she doesn't care what I build as long as it functions, told me to just build whatever i wanted. The trip Trap looks interesting but I tend to go toward more traditional stuff. I'm thinking more towards the line of a normal chair looking with higher sides and a leg divider and tray in front, just order some kind of pad off amazon and if needed the straps that look like a 5 point seat belt out of a race car. Anybody have any problems with this idea? Anything I need to stay away from?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Searched Woodsmith but maybe the plans are no longer available. ???????

Woodsmith has an excellent set of plans for building a high chair. Hardware comes from Rockler. Tray is removable and then chair becomes a "youth chair." Built my first for our now 23 year old grand daughter, and have built one for each grand kid / great grand kid since. I remember the look on grand daughter's face when she realized that her hips would no longer let her sit in her chair. Chairs "knock down" for storage.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
No problem. Do you have a picture or sketch of your "normal chair" with dimensions to build it?

Thanks guys, Talked to her today and she said she doesn't care what I build as long as it functions, told me to just build whatever i wanted. The trip Trap looks interesting but I tend to go toward more traditional stuff. I'm thinking more towards the line of a normal chair looking with higher sides and a leg divider and tray in front, just order some kind of pad off amazon and if needed the straps that look like a 5 point seat belt out of a race car. Anybody have any problems with this idea? Anything I need to stay away from?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Woodsmith had plans in their issue 67, February 1990, on page 6. You might be able to find somebody selling old issues. You can get it from Woodsmith but you have to buy a download or flash drive of all the back issues. I just looked at their website and they are asking $79 for it. It's been both more and less than this when I've looked previously, the cheapest I remember is $59. If all you want is this one plan, it's too much.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Woodsmith had plans in their issue 67, February 1990, on page 6. You might be able to find somebody selling old issues. You can get it from Woodsmith but you have to buy a download or flash drive of all the back issues. I just looked at their website and they are asking $79 for it. It's been both more and less than this when I've looked previously, the cheapest I remember is $59. If all you want is this one plan, it's too much.

Tonight, while searching for something else, came across a hard copy of these plans. Can't do email, but can do USPS (hint, hint)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS