Hide glue

DaltonEdmonds

New User
Dalton
Before I get started I know you can buy hide glue granules online. But I tried making a homemade batch here while back, it turned out really well. Found a YouTube tutorial for making it from dogs rawhide treats. As I have those on hand I thought that I would try it. Has anyone else tried this? How did it turn out? Mine turned out fairly well except for when I tried drying it. I tried drying it in my oven at the lowest heat setting for several hours up to a couple of days. Most of it dried out very well but there were spots that didn’t dry out like it should have. I was wondering before I try to redo this experiment, as I picked up a mangled violin for cheap, has any one made there own glue successfully and what method did you use to dry it out for long term storage? I will link to video when I find it.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yep, that is Patrick Edwards in the video, a very good piece of info.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Here's a video about hide glue from dog rawhide bones. How is the glue strength determined? 192 strength seems to be the typical one for general purpose use.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

Here is another presentation and I think the easiest for a beginner to understand.

Like someone mentioned, you can dehydrate the liquid to a hard flake but you do not know the holding power of the mix you created unless you have a Blume meter that test the gram strength of the glue. When all is said and done, save your self the trouble and and get a pound of 192 and get to work.

If you are just trying to find a cheaper way to make animal glue go buy some jello and make it up. It is animal protein in the jello. Still don't know how good it is and I for one would not use it to repair a musical instrument.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
If you want to try hide glue and cook up your own batch and experiment, there are 2 experts I think you can trust: Patrick Edwards out in San Diego and Eugene Thordahl in the Charlotte area.

Patrick Edwards has a long history of using the hot hide glue and he is also the maker of Olde Brown Glue. This is a liquid hide glue he makes for users that don't want to heat granular hide.

Lots of myths surround this glue and its uses. Its worth the time to look at the advantages that the glue offers.

take a look

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Hide glue strengths. I talked with the Technical service Director at Milligan & Higgins about hide glue strengths and how they measure them. I was interested in the 192 gram strength for woodworking. The hides are heated in water and the first extract is usually the strongest and subsequent reheating of the hides in water produces the the lower gram strengths.

It's cheap enough to simply buy the 192 gram strength and move on.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS