HF DC Impeller upgrade complete + wireless remote

Status
Not open for further replies.

photostu

New User
Stuart
From a prior post, I mentioned I would be doing the impeller conversion from the Rikon model. The conversion is complete and the DC is working as expected.

I have done no measurements, going with the data presented in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v5079FPCsY

I'll be doing the rest of this build after Xmas.

The process is simple, take off cover, remove hex nut, use puller tool to remove impeller, place new impeller and replace hex nut and external cover.

20181218_163428.jpg20181218_163651.jpg20181218_170048.jpg20181218_170624.jpg20181218_171513.jpg

I can also share a product that still allows wireless remote switch control after this mod has been completed:

https://www.amazon.com/Dewenwils-Wireless-Control-Electrical-Interference/dp/B01HWB15FS/

I looked all over for a wireless remote that can handle a 20amp circuit, this is really hard to find. So I found something that is rated for 15A and thought it was worth a shot.
I was using this remote no problem before the conversion. I was worried that after the conversion, I could overload this remote, but its still working properly.

All of the wireless remotes for DC are all very expensive compared to this 3pack which is $20 on Amazon. I'll be using this for my DC and air filter in the shop!

Last edited:

Sean McCurdy

New User
Sean
I'm doing the exact same upgrade, you actually brought the Rikon impeller to my attention. Supposedly it arrives this afternoon. I'll take a couple measurements with my my anemometer while I'm at it of the bare blower.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
Dumb question but where did you get the Rikon impeller? bought new or off an old broken machine?

I'm doing the exact same upgrade, you actually brought the Rikon impeller to my attention. Supposedly it arrives this afternoon. I'll take a couple measurements with my my anemometer while I'm at it of the bare blower.

photostu

New User
Stuart

Be curious if you get similar measurements from the video. Either way for me, its moving more air.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
From a prior post, I mentioned I would be doing the impeller conversion from the Rikon model. The conversion is complete and the DC is working as expected.

I have done no measurements, going with the data presented in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v5079FPCsY

I'll be doing the rest of this build after Xmas.

The process is simple, take off cover, remove hex nut, use puller tool to remove impeller, place new impeller and replace hex nut and external cover.

View attachment 29394View attachment 29395View attachment 29396View attachment 29397View attachment 29398

I can also share a product that still allows wireless remote switch control after this mod has been completed:

https://www.amazon.com/Dewenwils-Wireless-Control-Electrical-Interference/dp/B01HWB15FS/

I looked all over for a wireless remote that can handle a 20amp circuit, this is really hard to find. So I found something that is rated for 15A and thought it was worth a shot.
I was using this remote no problem before the conversion. I was worried that after the conversion, I could overload this remote, but its still working properly.

All of the wireless remotes for DC are all very expensive compared to this 3pack which is $20 on Amazon. I'll be using this for my DC and air filter in the shop!

Beware that with respect to the remote, what you actually need is a remote rated for whatever horsepower your DC motor is rated for and not specifically the running amperage of that motor due to the nature of highly inductive loads versus the resistive loads that many of the generic remotes are actually rated for. In most cases the maximum amperage rating is based upon the assumption that you are using a resistive load like a space heater or coffee maker, for example.

There are are several aspects of highly inductive loads (such as with induction motors) that can cause damage or risk of fire in inadequately rated remote switches depending upon whether the remote switch is using a physical relay (or other physical contact setup — you will here it “click” or “kerchunk” when switching) versus a solid-state based Triac switching circuit (a contact-less switch, which is absolutely silent when switching). Both can be adversely affected by the very high startup amps that such motors draw upon initial startup (typically 3-5 times the running current, or the FLA, locked rotor, stall current) which can burn up or weld contacts or slowly destroy the diode junctions in a Triac over time and/or overheat the Triac. In the case of solid-state Triac based switches there is also the dV/dT (delta V over delta Time) issue if the rate of voltage rise is too fast which can result in in false triggering of the device but also possibly damaging voltage spikes if the snubber circuit is inadequate for the size of motor used (voltage spikes are especially a risk in the first moment when the switch is turned off and the motor’s magnetic field is collapsing). These examples are why it is not uncommon to find relays that will be rated for 20A resistive but may only be rated for a 1/3rd horsepower motor even though the motor would only draw 1/4 to 1/3 the amp rating while running.

But that is the difference between the typical generic remote switches versus those designed specifically with induction motors in mind — the much smaller niche for proper motor-rated remote switches is a big part of the reason they cost more as there is more engineering involved, and, if designed correctly, either more parts (if solid state) or much beefier contacts (if relay/contact based).

Of course, if by chance your remote switch is actually rated for a horsepower motor equal to or greater than that used in your DC then you should be fine if it is properly designed —
I have simply never seen any that were rated for motor loads anywhere near the 1-2 HP mark since most are intended for things like simple lighting loads.

With that out of the way, congratulations on your upgrade and thank you very much for sharing your experiences with all of us as that is what this site is all about!

PS — Looking around on Amazon, the closest equivalent model remote switch I could find that appears to match your unit was rated for 1/2 HP motor (around a 5A motor) or 15A resistive.

gmakra

New User
George
I figured buying a remote was faster than building one, boy was I wrong.
It worked about 10% of the time.
I purchased transmitter/ receiver that would handle 24 volts on flea bay, a two pole 30 amp contactor, 24 transformer and a can to put everything in.
Cost about the same as a store bought unit but it works and I don't have to worry about amp draw.

photostu

New User
Stuart
Thank you for that thorough explanation, I will consider getting a proper remote switch after reading this for sure.

photostu

New User
Stuart
Beware that with respect to the remote, what you actually need is a remote rated for whatever horsepower your DC motor is rated for and not specifically the running amperage of that motor due to the nature of highly inductive loads versus the resistive loads that many of the generic remotes are actually rated for. In most cases the maximum amperage rating is based upon the assumption that you are using a resistive load like a space heater or coffee maker, for example.

Would anyone recommend this particular wiring setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DODs-wL07OI

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I cannot believe this guy took the "Christmas Tree Remote" apart to get the power feed to it. You should buy an inexpensive power cord (or even an extension cord with the receptacle end cut off) to make the connections to the side of the contactor. The Packard contactor is readily available on Amazon.com in multiple Amp ratings for less than $10 (Prime) and a suitable wireless power outlet is only about $11.50. The beauty of this contactor is that it can be used with 240 VAC or 120 VAC, up to the amperage rating of the contactor. Be sure to order a contactor with a 120 Volt coil.

I have used this same configuration with my 5 HP ClearVue Cyclone for 10 years without any issues. Here is a picture from several years ago that shows a mock up of the contactor in an enclosure with the power for the coil coming in using a yellow extension cord segment. In this example, the Neutral side of the yellow lead is shown connected to one side tab of the contactor and the Black (hot) side of the yellow lead is shown connected with a Blue butt connector to the Black wire of a piece of Romex. In a normal situation, remove the Romex at the Blue connector and connect the yellow hot lead to the other side of the contactor. (my application used a power relay connected to the Romex in a Bin Level Sensor that will shut the cyclone off when the bin is filled). I have also attached a schematic showing the wiring.

PM me with any questions.

Attachments

• 100_6423 small.jpg
    100_6423 small.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 252
  • Remote Switch Diagram.pdf
    70.1 KB · Views: 214

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Would anyone recommend this particular wiring setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DODs-wL07OI

That is a more than acceptable circuit, just look for a contactor rated for a horsepower equal to, or greater than, that of your DC and that has a 120VAC coil (be sure to specify coil voltage as 24VAC is most common, but they are available in 120VAC and 240VAC coils as well as other voltages). With this setup the load is handled by the contactor and your remote switch only ever sees the load of the contactor’s coil, which is well within its ratings. Most electrical supply houses will have everything you need for the project if you wish to buy locally.

You will want to be sure to place the contactor in a box enclosure to protect people from the exposed terminals and contacts and use strain relieving cable clamps on the cords so they can not be pulled out of your box if someone trips on a cord (for example).

You don’t have to open up the remote switch control like in the video unless you are trying to get everything into a single box with a single cord coming in and a single cord exiting — like most things there is more than one way to get the project done. The other option is to place only the contactor in a box with two plugs (one goes to wall, other to remote switch) and a receptacle for your DC. You then plug the contactor and remote switch into the wall, the contactor coil into the remote switch, and the DC into the receptacle on your contactor.

This has been an interesting response to type out — every single instance of “contactor” has been a war with auto-correct converting the word to “contractor”...hopefully I caught them all!

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Do you know any good simple way to make auto switch for dust collector?

What’s the skill level and how do you define “simple”? Those are the fundamental principles that underlay that question. :)

Perhaps the simplest is wiring microswitches or a magnet plus reed switch to every blast gate such that when a blast gate is opened the DC switches on with those gate switches all wired in parallel to deliver power to a contactor coil so that when any switch opens the contactor’s contacts close. Except, you really want to have a bit of an on-after-delay and an off-after-delay built into that switching so that the DC (and contactor) are not frequently bouncing on and off because you did not quickly open or close a gate or because you absentmindedly closed one gate before you opened the next a few seconds later — it’s not good to cycle motors too frequently because they generate a lot of heat on startup, especially single-phase induction motors with starter windings, and they need some runtime to dissipate that heat before being cycled again. That’s what the delay circuits buy you and you can buy ready made delay switches to control the contactor.

But perhaps the most convenient method is also a good deal more complicated as it involves using current sense coils on each tool circuit in your shop’s electrical subpanel to detect when the individual tools have been turned on and then automatically activating the DC combined with a short on-after-delay and and a much longer (on the order of perhaps a couple minutes) off-after-delay timer that prevents the DC from shutting down too soon so you have time to move between pieces of equipment without it power cycling which also gives it time to finish drawing in the last bits of waste if you shut the tool down quickly after an operation (depending upon the length of your run, it can take some seconds for waste to make it from your tool to the DC and you do not want the heavier waste falling out of the air stream before such makes it to the waste bin and possibly causing future clogs). You would then combine that with automatic blast gates so that the blast gate(s) for that tool also automatically open on demand. But now you are at a point (either motorized with either a servo motor or a motor with limit switches or, more simply still, solenoid activated with spring return) where doing it inexpensively requires some real electronics, and electrical, skill as there will need to be some brains to control it all so that you don’t have to spend a fortune on industrial control modules (though, if funds are no limit then it is easy enough to do using jellybean industrial control modules and the required skill level decreases).

By far, the simplest route is doing what the OP in this thread is doing and either buying or concocting a remote controlled switch and attaching the fob to your shop apron (or buy extra remotes and adhere them to each tool).

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Why not sure a bunch of micro switches, perhaps ones sold for home alarm window protection in series so if any open the relay closes and the DC starts?

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
What's the bore size on the Rikon Impeller? I have an older Grizzly DC (early to mid 90s) with a 2HP motor and I'll have to check the impeller size. BTW, what is the overall diameter of the before and after impeller?

Thanks for all the great pics and info!

tooboos

New User
tooboos
Hi I am not good electrical man, but I can implement some scheme with relay and sensors. Potentially use something like arduino (to implement delays on/off)

In my garage shop I don't have fixed places for each tool - I move it around on mobile bases. And use simple HF DC,

What I think I need: dedicated poser outlet (1 or 2) for "active tool" and outlet for DC. So for each operation I'll connect active tool in right outlet as well as connect DC hose to active tool dust port.
Base on my google something like this should work for me https://www.bytesizedengineering.com/projects/shop-vac-auto-switch

What do you think?

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Hi I am not good electrical man, but I can implement some scheme with relay and sensors. Potentially use something like arduino (to implement delays on/off)

In my garage shop I don't have fixed places for each tool - I move it around on mobile bases. And use simple HF DC,

What I think I need: dedicated poser outlet (1 or 2) for "active tool" and outlet for DC. So for each operation I'll connect active tool in right outlet as well as connect DC hose to active tool dust port.
Base on my google something like this should work for me https://www.bytesizedengineering.com/projects/shop-vac-auto-switch

What do you think?

When planning which tools you would want to use with such a device, be aware that a typical residential 120VAC receptacle is only rated for 15A max (this is the maximum rating for that style plug and receptacle per receptacle, the actual circuit itself may be either 15A or 20A depending upon your circuit breaker and house/shop wiring). Many shop vacs and 120VAC Dust Collectors can come very close to maxing out that amperage with typical (real) motor ratings usually in the 10-13A range for just the shop vac or DC alone, not including whatever other tool you were planning to use. In a pinch you can reduce the amp draw of a shop vac or DC by significantly choking off the airflow, such as by using long or undersized hose (you will here the motor speed up due to the reduced load since it is then moving much less air), but then you are also sacrificing effectiveness substantially since effectiveness is heavily dependent upon the volume of air moved.

I really wish these auto-switches better explained the inherent current limitations imposed by powering both the shop vac or DC off the same physical receptacle and circuit as the power tool as I’ve never felt that they make adequately clear that their typical 15A rating applies to the sum of both devices collectively and not 15A per device (where you see higher end shop vacs with such auto-switches built-in they typically monitor tool current needs and dynamically reduce the power output of the shop vac in an effort to stay within the 15A power budget — but a “dumb” shop vac or DC obviously does not have the necessary brains to modify its power requirements dynamically).

If you have a 20A circuit then you could replace the 15A receptacle and plug with their 20A variant (NEMA 5-20P/R) to gain a few more usable amps (provided that no other electrical devices are sharing that same circuit) without overloading either the plug or receptacle (a 20A 120VAC plug or receptacle has one prong rotated 90°, or horizontal, relative to the other). But double-check the ratings of the auto-switch as many are only rated for 15A total load, in part because that is all they can be properly rated for when using a 15A plug (NEMA 5-15P/R) and receptacle.

But keep in mind that routers may present up to a 10-15A load of their own, a tablesaw is also typically around 13A, a jointer or thickness planer similarly, and a 1HP 120VAC DC may draw up to 10-12A, so you can run out of available amperage quite quickly when your shop vac or DC are also plugged into the same electrical circuit as the power tool since many power tools can present very high loads of their own under load. If there are any other electrical devices also drawing power off that same physical circuit (e.g. chargers, refrigerator/freezer, etc.) then their collective amperage must also be subtracted from what is otherwise available from the maximum 15A or 20A afforded by the circuit and breaker.

This is why why it is very advantageous to have one’s shop wired with multiple (at least 2) 120VAC and/or 240VAC so that the heavy load of a DC or shop vac may be plugged into one circuit and the tool into the other.

If you do have at least two electrical circuits to work with then there is still a way to use such a power tool current sensor/auto-switch without risking overloading a single circuit. If you adapt the external contactor (heavy duty motor-rated relay) modification used earlier in this thread with the remote switch then you can use this auto switch to sense your power tool load, but instead of trying to directly power the DC or shop vac off the auto-switch you instead use the auto-switch to activate the contactor coil (closing/activating the contactor) and then connect the switched contactor contacts to an outlet on an entirely different circuit and connect your DC or shop vac such that it is switched by the contactor rather than directly through the auto-switch itself. By separating these two heavy loads and placing each on its own dedicated circuit you do not risk overloading either since neither circuit should ever see more than 15A each — yet you still get to enjoy the convenience afforded by such a device. Alternatively, this also would allow 120VAC power tools to automatically switch a larger 240VAC dust collector simply by connecting the contactor to a 240VAC receptacle instead (but the contactor coils would remain 120VAC as they are powered by the 120VAC auto-switch accessory).

Good luck with your project and be sure to let us know how things work out for you and what way you ended up choosing to go once you have implemented your idea.

tooboos

New User
tooboos
Great thank you for such detailed ansver. It is real helpfool. I am understand that connect DC and tool to the same bracket - not a good idea. I'll try to make devise with 2x110 inputs and 2x110 outputs. As soon as I'll be ready with scheme i'll put it here.

Thanks a lot again

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors