HF 2hp Dust collector

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
That is an improvement over the one I have, which had the same nominal capacity, but 30 micron bags. 1550 cfm may be overstating actual [STRIKE]suckage[/STRIKE] suction somewhat, as no one else that makes a 2 hp collector claims such efficiency. That being said, mine did effectively evacuate my 20" planer and 8" jointer quite well... And, if you can find a 20% off coupon, it becomes an even better deal!

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Crazy thought... The HF cyclone simply does not have the spec of the monster 5HP 220V/20A 1400-1900+ CFM required for "true" dust collection (according to Bill Pentz, ClearVue, etc.). But neither does it have the price: $120 vs. $1,425 + piping.

So...

What if you put two or three of these HF models together? Seems like it would be a good incremental and modular way to get real dust collection until saving for a cyclone and building the duct system. Total cost for three would be $360. The first would be used as a stand-alone machine adjacent each piece of equipment, since it wouldn't have the power to suck through a 6" piping system. But then a 6" system could be constructed, a second unit added to the first, and the combined two have enough power to suck through a 6" system. A third collector could even be added. The combined total would require three 120V/15A circuits, but at least it would work without revamping the shop's electrical system.

In summary:
1. Buy first HF dust collector. Use adjacent each WW machine as required. (Upgrade with Thien baffle, Wynn filters, bags, etc., to maximize micro-particle filtration and minimize filter loading resistance.
2. Buy/install 6" piping system. Plan it around final cyclone location.
3. Buy second HF dust collector. Upgrade and connect to 6" pipe with first unit.
4. Buy third HF unit and upgrade for true cyclone power.
5. Upgrade electrical panel, circuits for future cyclone.
6. Buy cyclone.
7. Sell HF dust collectors to others wanting to do the same thing.

I'm seriously considering this, but am I crazy?

gator8686

New User
Bruce
Thanks for the great advise and the 20% coupon!
I need a better dust collection system than my shop vac.

BruceO

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Steve, I like the way you're thinking, because it's a great way to upgrade-as-you go. The cost of building a DC system using a Harbor Freight dust collector, remote, canister filter, 4" PVC pipe + blast gates and trash can separator is roughly $600. The cost of an Oneida, Shop Fox or Clear Vue 3HP cyclone separator with remote, 6" pipe + blast gates is roughly $2600. That's a big difference. With your approach, you can keep the shop clean right away by simply moving the hose from machine to machine. Then upgrade it with canister, trash can separator etc. By adding a second unit, you now have enough ooomph to do the 6" duct work (which gets expensive because of the fittings!). Then buy the cyclone DC as the last step. You might lose $100 -$200 in resale of the old equipment, but that's not bad.

Will it work? In theory, you could take a 6"x5"x5" Wye and use that to hook up your duct work to two HF DC's in parallel (the inlet is 5"). But will one interfere with the other, i.e. how does HF DC #1 know to suck air through the 6" pipe that's connected to your machine, and not fight the DC that's on the other side of the Wye? I'm sure there will be some loss of performance, the question is how much. I'm not sure about adding a third one, since they all need to be in parallel, not series.

JimZ3

New User
Jim
1. Buy first HF dust collector. Use adjacent each WW machine as required. (Upgrade with Thien baffle, Wynn filters, bags, etc., to maximize micro-particle filtration and minimize filter loading resistance.
2. Buy/install 6" piping system. Plan it around final cyclone location.
3. Buy second HF dust collector. Upgrade and connect to 6" pipe with first unit.
4. Buy third HF unit and upgrade for true cyclone power.
5. Upgrade electrical panel, circuits for future cyclone.
6. Buy cyclone.
7. Sell HF dust collectors to others wanting to do the same thing.

I'm seriously considering this, but am I crazy?

:widea:Thats not sounding too crazy.....Figure if you dish out 600 now you will probably get at least 300 back when you sell it,when you upgrade.....So 300 bucks to buy you time for a cyclone isnt too bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS