Herman - Nutcracker (almost)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
The 'almost' is because they're modeled after the typical nutcracker characters but don't have the nut cracker capability. They're basically just characters I've created depicting different jobs/hobbies. Started these when I bought a old 1940's vintage wood lathe and really didn't know what to make except 'round' stuff'. What seems like many years ago now I worked with a teacher over the summer who's last name was Herman. We worked together so well I made him the first Herman character. It was just basically a Handyman style character. After a while I just started taking old 4x4 scraps and making other characters. Here's the bunch so far with the last being the Dr. Herman i made for my youngest son who works for the local Cardiology Group here.
Birdhouse maker nutcracker w mackinaw hat - 2017.jpgModel A mechanic nutcracker w makinaw hat - 2017.jpgtoymaker nutcracker w mackinaw hat - 2017.jpgDr Herman finished 1-4-19 - smallest yet.jpg
The largest pieces are done on the old wood lathe (head & torso). The rest including the base is cut using my scroll saw. Things like the birdhouses, shoes, tools, spare parts under the work benches, vise, toys, etc. And with the last one (Dr. Herman) the roll around cart and giant needle. Over the Winter we put the mackinaw hats on them all and a Santa hats at Christmas. I made the aprons and scrub top on my wife's sewing machine. Labels and decals are made using decal paper purchased on-line at a site called Micro Mark. They have model maker supplies like decal paper you can use on cars, model trains, etc. Neat site. Time consuming project but satisfying when done (my hands and ankles wouldn't agree I'm sure).

Sorry the pics aren't actually in the text body. But just click on the jpg and it'll show the complete pic.

Last edited:

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
14" tall Mike. Actually just happened that way when I made the first one. Kept them all the same after I made the turning pattern.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My wife keeps asking me to make some nutcrackers, the traditional German style.

You may have pushed me just far enough...

llucas

luke
Senior User
Pop
Those are pretty special...I'd say they have great commercial potential if you have a mind to...
Thanks for sharing

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Am I missing something ... the sign with Dr Herman doesn't make sense ...
"We're going to let this with your nurse ... Just in case ..."
Am I mssing an inside joke?

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
My son will understand. He's in Cardiology and I'm referring to the very large needle his character is holding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS