Hepplewhite Low Boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Finally finished this mahogany Hepplewhite Low Boy. The finish is BLO followed by amber shelac, a toner coat of walnut gel stain and more shelac. It's based on one I saw in an antique store.

0193.JPG

View image in gallery

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Larry,

This is one more in a long line of beautifully executed pieces. Your work is an inspiration.

Matt

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
That is a stunning piece, Larry. Furniture in the Federal Style has always been my favorite, and this one is brilliant. What wood did you use for the cross-banding on the top? I checked out the photos in your gallery, but still would like to see more detail. Did you use gouges to create the bell drops on the legs? Anyway, thank you for sharing. This type of work has been a lost art, but is making a come-back thanks to craftsmen like you. Bravo!

Matt

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
That is a stunning piece, Larry. Furniture in the Federal Style has always been my favorite, and this one is brilliant. What wood did you use for the cross-banding on the top? I checked out the photos in your gallery, but still would like to see more detail. Did you use gouges to create the bell drops on the legs? Anyway, thank you for sharing. This type of work has been a lost art, but is making a come-back thanks to craftsmen like you. Bravo!

Matt
Matt, the cross banding is zebra wood and yes I used a gouge to make the holly bell flowers. Here are a couple more pics just don't look too close. The center part of the medalion came from Rocklear I think. I added the satin wood around it. The holly and ebony stringing came from you. Quality stuff as usual.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Thanks for the additional pics. I figured that was zebra wood. Zebra is excellent stuff when used as a crossbanding like that. I uses some tulipwood on a piece in that same fashion once. It looked awesome when it was new, but the sun faded the tulipwood over time. Other woods that look good in that kind of application are: kingwood (if you can find it), olivewood, and marblewood, but zebra seems to be the best if the color is appropriate.
I have never seen the oval fan surrounded with the satinwood. Nice touch!

M

McRabbet

Superb work, Larry -- hope you can bring it to the picnic to show it off for all to see!

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
That is some really beautiful work Larry. I hope to do a project with inlay in the future, so this is some inspiration. Still hope to look you up next time I am in the area. Like I was last week, but I was too busy to make a side-track visit.
Stay safe and watch those fingers. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors