Help with wood ID please!

karlkoch

New User
Karl
New Bern, NC. I was given several sections of a large limb that I plan on turning. The tree (see photo) looked like black walnut or pecan but the bark on the limb sections don't look like those species to me. The wood itself also doesn't look like black walnut to me (see photo). But I am certainly no expert. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_9540.jpeg
    IMG_9540.jpeg
    467.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_9544.jpeg
    IMG_9544.jpeg
    530.7 KB · Views: 114

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
I thought that sap wood on both Pecan and Hickory was lighter in color than the heart wood. Sort of similar to Walnut in that respect but I don't think this is Walnut.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Any chance you can get a closer photo of a leaf? And a photo of the bark on the main trunk? From a distance the leaves do look like pecan but could be Tree of Heaven, an invasive species. Do you know if the individual leaflets have serrated edges? Tree of Heaven have smooth margins.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Based on the leaves it looks like it could be a byt tree so pecan is a solid assumption because the bark and leaf patter matches.

karlkoch

New User
Karl
Any chance you can get a closer photo of a leaf? And a photo of the bark on the main trunk? From a distance the leaves do look like pecan but could be Tree of Heaven, an invasive species. Do you know if the individual leaflets have serrated edges? Tree of Heaven have smooth margins.
I do not have acess to the property to take photos of the tree at their point. It's definitely not a Tree of Heaven. Sounds like the consensus is Pecan. Thank you for your help!

karlkoch

New User
Karl
Thanks everyone for your help. I am going to put some on the lathe today and treat it as if it is Pecan...which I have turned before. I have a pretty good idea how green pecan will behave as it dries and warps.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors