Help with drawing/cad program choice/use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

toolferone

Help! I have been wanting to purchase some kind of drawing/cad program for the computer. There are lots out there at all different prices. I consider myself a fairly competent computer person, but I have tried a few really cheap programs and I just don't get it:-? . I would love some one on one tutoring with someones who have,use, and understand the program they use. I hope to get to see several different programs in use so I could help decide which one is right from me. I would not be in a position to purchase any of the really $$$$ programs, but might still like to see them in action. I feel if I can sit down with someones and see the programs in action I will understand them better.

TIA

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Tom,

I have Delta Cad and have been very pleased with it's inuitive design and reasonable level of power. It is a 2D program, not 3D but 3D has a much steeper learning curve. There is another thread that discusses this here. Hopefully it will be of some help.

M

McRabbet

Tom,
The thread that Steve cited gives you most of the info you need to get started at the basics -- 3D is tough to master without a substantial investment of time -- I use Turbo CAD Pro 10.2 for 2D renditions of plan or elevations of projects for "show-n-tell" and because it allows me to set exact dimensions for each component I need for fabrication. I'm just starting to try to do some things in 3D. Rob

T

toolferone

McRabbet said:
Tom,
I use Turbo CAD Pro 10.2 for 2D renditions of plan or elevations of projects for "show-n-tell" and because it allows me to set exact dimensions for each component I need for fabrication. I'm just starting to try to do some things in 3D. Rob

Would you be willing to have me come visit with you for a couple of hours sometime and go over what you know about it with me?

M

McRabbet

toolferone said:
Would you be willing to have me come visit with you for a couple of hours sometime and go over what you know about it with me?
Tom, I'd be happy to, but I'm a little far away -- I live in Hendersonville (south of Asheville, about 235 miles from Raleigh)! If you want to drive that far, I'd be happy to spend some time showing you what I know. But, the next time I'm in the Triangle to visit my daughter (Apex) or son (Raleigh), I'd be more than happy to come by the Woodcraft store with my laptop and spend some time with you. It might cost you a little discount on some goodies :)lol: I'd love to take advantage of the Bessey K-body deal but I'm short right now!), but that would just prove that Woodguy Disease is still rampant! In the interim, Go ahead and download the info I suggested in the earlier thread on TurboCAD Version 4 -- there is a good manual and tutorial there for free.

PS -- Your shop building sucks! I've only got 800 sf and I'm jealous!

DavidF

New User
David
Hey Tom - I use Solidworks for my 3D stuff as you probably know from my postings. It's at the top end on price, but I would be happy to spend some time with you showing you what can be achieved. I have been using 3D for over 10 years now and you certainly get what you pay for.

Let me know if you wnat to get together.

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
I agree with everyone about different degrees of learning curve and hold off of the 3D till you get familar with 2D. Quick Cad, Delta Cad, and Turbo Cad are good programs to start with and they will do just about any drawing you need. I use Autocad and the learning curve is pretty big and the cost is to much. I think yu should be able to get one of the others for less than $75.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
http://www.sketchup.com/

this rocks, I am trying out the 8 hour demo and love it. cost is around 4-500 bucks. very easy to pick up. i tried autocad and design cad, both of which were too powerful and complicated for what I wanted to do. once you get the hang of it, it really is like sketching.

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
Well guys, I can only vouch for Solidworks and ProEngineer, this is what I have used on my day job for so many years. I am a CAD designer and end user.

I have never found a program that was as easy to learn as SW. But it is pricey.

3D is somehthing that is almost impossible to teach remotely. You have to be there with the person. I have trained 5 people how to use it in my career and they all are able to do rough modelling within a couple of hours of starting my session with them.

It is the very best 3d modelling software I know of. 2D drawings are integrated within the software allowing you to quickly make a detailed drawing from your models or assemblies.

If anyone wants to learn SW, I can sure show you.

cad

But if anyone needs hel

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
I'd be happy to share what I know with you Dave.

I too, love Solidworks. Anything is possible with this app.

I have modelled rooms, cabinets, all my tooling, even a complete framing assembly for a barn. Dont ask for the models though, I lost everything from 2003 on back when I got a nasty virus on my pc, compliments of my offspring.

I do have several models of the tools I have designed and fabricated. Some are on my work pc, which I need to copy soon, before my lay off.

I never brought some of them home because my pc at that time couldnt handle the memory consumption. I recently bumped my memory up to 1.2 gig and can use it fairly well at home now.

In fact the tutorial I just put in the downloads section has graphics I produced from a SW model of the tool blank.

When I have time, I will make pdf's of this monster hollowing rig I designed and made, using it now. It is very heavy, but the weight dampens any chatter that starts to commence.

It is the easiest cad I have ever used.

Gotta go, I also create websites for clients, and have a big load of work to do on one of their sites.

later,

cad

DavidF

New User
David
Hi CAD - Have a look in my gallery, there are some of the photoworks renderings I do for each project. Let me know if I can make any improvements.

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
David, you are a pro. There is no want for improvement. Your renderings are excellent.

I dont even go to the lengths you have gone to, they are simply surreal.

I commend you on your expertise.

cad

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
Tom F,
I hope my comments didnt discourage you, although I have extensive experience with the top cad packages it doesnt mean I can afford them at home.

I will be downloading some of the ones suggested here in the forum, and trying them. I too, will need to get an economical brand. My paychecks end in 4 weeks. I'm gonna have to tighten things up drastically around the home and frivolous things are gonna have to go.

I would assess what our fellow members have posted, and try a package that best suits your needs. If you have any trouble with the terminology the package uses I will be glad to assist.

cad

smessick

New User
Stan Messick
I found this thread intriguing. I have used Illustrator for 10 or 12 years and have used it to draw plans for my projects. I find that I can find and solve problems as I put together a project in the ether.

After reading this thread I looked over some of the CAD software mentioned and found TurboCad for Mac and downloaded the demo.

The main reason I'm interested in a CAD program is to be able to draw to scale; i.e., 1/4" = 1", etc. I thought that a CAD program would enable me to draw a rectangle and have the dimensions display the actual size as I draw; i.e., I draw a 1" square and the dimensions display as 4". Way back in the last century when I did this sort of thing with a parallel bar and triangle my engineer's scale and upstairs computer did this for me.

I've spent a good deal of time perusing the manual and searching the web but I can't find how to do this in the CAD program. Can anybody help? Thanks.

Stan Messick

DavidF

New User
David
The secret of CAD programs is "DON'T DRAW TO SCALE" set the units and work area (dependent on package) to enable you to draw 1:1 be it a small box or a football field. Then you just use the "measure" tool to give you the length. Trying to draw to a scale is self defeating in CAD. Unlike with the old paper method, your electronic paper is as big as you like!

Talking of football fields; I notice that this is fast becoming an "official" unit of measure here in the USA! to the point that on one "Science" program the space station Mir was described as being 60 yards by 3 football fields!! Ah the lowest common denominator again:roll:

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
smessick said:
The main reason I'm interested in a CAD program is to be able to draw to scale; i.e., 1/4" = 1", etc. I thought that a CAD program would enable me to draw a rectangle and have the dimensions display the actual size as I draw; i.e., I draw a 1" square and the dimensions display as 4". Way back in the last century when I did this sort of thing with a parallel bar and triangle my engineer's scale and upstairs computer did this for me.

Stan Messick

Stan,
It sounds like your drawing scale is set to 1:4. I am not familiar with this brand of cad, but this is inherent in all of them. Look for a settings or properties for your drawing. One of these should have a spec for the scale. To draw exactly as you display, you will have to set the scale to 1:1.

I am used to modelling the actual 3D model, and once done, create a drawing from that model. You app should feature this ability.

cad

M

McRabbet

I've got TurboCad for Windows and know that the two versions are completely different, so I can't help on specifics. But you should have the capability to set the scale of your drawing for printout -- in the Windows version, a drawing is developed in "model" space and a view port of all or part of that drawing is opened in "paper" space for printing. I prepare most of my drawings at a scale where I can display a plan or elevation view on standard paper in landscape format.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS