Help with a grilling enclosure

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I tired of getting wet when grilling on the deck. I am looking to build a shed roof design roof to cover my grill and me when grilling. The area will be 8 x 8 or less. I plan to make it tall enough so I can use corrugated fiberglass panels for the roof but I am not locked in corrugated panels. Any suggestions on how to best vent? Something passive. I am not looking at a high dollar electric range/grill hood.

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
I had a deck above the grill while in Durham. To keep the water off me I purchased the panels, cut them to fit,
shimmed for slope, and installed a gutter on the house. I attached with grommeted screws to allow removal
for cleaning, as leaf detris came through the gaps. Over lapped and supported on the ends by the house and
deck banding. On the down side, once a year pressure washing to remove smoke and grease on siding.
Ed

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
20 years ago I made one out of copper sheeting. It is at my neighbors and it still looks good

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I built one similar Scott. We try and get a picture of it today and send it to you

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Why not put a framed roof over the entire deck and call it a covered porch for other uses besides grilling?

I built one similar Scott. We try and get a picture of it today and send it to you

Post your pics here too. Thanks.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I've been thinking about building a structure out in the back yard for our grill and the Pit Barrel Cooker. Small deck on concrete piers with some sort of sloped roof maybe of corrugated material. Then it starts turning into a sort of shed with big doors on one side and a work surface inside along with dry storage for charcoal and stuff. I have to stop thinking about it at that point. If I don't the next step is electricity, running water, gas, heat, and AC. :D

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Why not put a framed roof over the entire deck and call it a covered porch for other uses besides grilling?

Post your pics here too. Thanks.

Because of the existing roof lines, yes there multiple, a complete cover is not doable without a major remodel. My house is L shaped and the deck is nestled in the inside of the L.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Scott, can you build a lightweight roof structure on a corner of the deck away from the house? Maybe with corrugated polycarbonate for the roof? How tall would you want it?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott, can you build a lightweight roof structure on a corner of the deck away from the house? Maybe with corrugated polycarbonate for the roof? How tall would you want it?

That is what I am considering. I am thinking 7'to 8' high at the most.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Do you want four simple legs or would you like a degreed over-engineer to design something that uses more tools and looks cooler?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm lost and confused again. How about a picture of your deck area with your grill and where you would like to put the grilling area with a 7-8' high "roof".

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Well, quick and dirty. You could cover the roof with something like poly carbonate to let light in or use something like those waterproof panels designed to go in wet places like shower rooms or you could stretch waterproofed fabric over it. I have another idea that would involve making sort of slats to go on the roof so smoke could vent out and the wind could blow through it. I just drew rods to the corners. They could be made to be adjustable and they could be something like double braid marine rope which would be durable, UV resistant and easy to work with.

I think I'd redo the base a bit to make it go better with the roof.

A gazebo thing with a cupola could be good, too, although it might need a larger foot print.

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm lost and confused again. How about a picture of your deck area with your grill and where you would like to put the grilling area with a 7-8' high "roof".

Jeff here is a picture of the deck. The grill would be on the right side.

BTW here is view from the deck:
roof 1.jpg
roof 2.jpg

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well, quick and dirty. You could cover the roof with something like poly carbonate to let light in or use something like those waterproof panels designed to go in wet places like shower rooms or you could stretch waterproofed fabric over it. I have another idea that would involve making sort of slats to go on the roof so smoke could vent out and the wind could blow through it. I just drew rods to the corners. They could be made to be adjustable and they could be something like double braid marine rope which would be durable, UV resistant and easy to work with.

I think I'd redo the base a bit to make it go better with the roof.

A gazebo thing with a cupola could be good, too, although it might need a larger foot print.

That is cool. Thanks Dave.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS