Help: Tablesaw out of commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

welldigger

New User
Scott
I set up my Ridgid table saw with my Freud stacked dado head today and a shim got stuck in the arbor thread and ruined the threads on my arbor.
Drogar-Cry%28DBG%29.gif
Has anybody ever replaced the arbor on a Ridgid TS? Is it hard to replace? Can I just put a washer between the nut and the arbor flange?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Have you tried running the arbor nut the full length of the threads to clean them up a little. Generally the threads on a TS arbor are very flat topped and thick to prevent damage when changing tight fitting blades. I would think that it would take a lot to damage them to the point that they couldn't be used.
You could put a washer on it. If it was against the flange it would throw off your fence scale and require all new ZCI. If it was placed after the blade it wouldn't be any different than a blade stabilizer.
I am sure that replacing the arbor shaft wouldn't be too difficult if you could get a replacement part and have some mechanical inclination.

Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Have you contacted Ridgid yet? This probably won't fall under the normal wear&tear warranty, but it can't hurt to inquire.

Glennbear

Glenn
Have you tried running the arbor nut the full length of the threads to clean them up a little. Generally the threads on a TS arbor are very flat topped and thick to prevent damage when changing tight fitting blades. I would think that it would take a lot to damage them to the point that they couldn't be used.
You could put a washer on it. If it was against the flange it would throw off your fence scale and require all new ZCI. If it was placed after the blade it wouldn't be any different than a blade stabilizer.
I am sure that replacing the arbor shaft wouldn't be too difficult if you could get a replacement part and have some mechanical inclination.

Dave:)

If I am picturing what Dave is describing correctly that would be Acme threads and you would be hard pressed to find a corresponding die to fit it. FWIW I have seen old time mechanics take an appropriate spare nut and cut a kerf across the threads with a ground down hacksaw blade so that the sharp edges will clean up threads on a bunged up shaft YMMV. As far as total arbor shaft replacement I can offer no advice :wsmile:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Ridgid had a problem a couple years ago where some of their saws had arbors whose threads stopped a bit shy of the shank the blade sits on. This groove was wide enough that a chipper blade on a dado could drop into it, causing a high tooth and uneven bottom on the dado. Originally, they sent out new arbors to those requesting them. They stopped the practice after too many complaints about the difficulty in users replacing the arbor. They will probably tell you to take it to a service center. If you registered for the lifetime warrantee, you will probably be covered.

That said, they may send you an arbor. If so, go to the Ridgid forums at www.ridgid.com as there are a few threads there that will be very helpful on techniques to remove the pressed-on bearings, etc. If you are not very mechanically inclined, I would advise the service center as it is not a task to be undertaken lightly.

However, if the threads are not broken, you should be able to clean them up with a jewelers file. And yes, Glenn, they are acme threads.

A picture of the damage would help with better recommendations, if that is possible.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS