Help- Small Stain Spots

Status
Not open for further replies.

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
Hey all-
I'm applying finish to my coffee table components, and evidently I missed wiping part of the last coat after applying it...and I've got a few small shiny stain spots where it didn't soak in (hence why you wipe it...duh).

Anyways, I'm planning on topcoating this with a clear semi-gloss minwax poly...do you think that will be enough to hide the spots? If not, any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
HI jeff.

I too have experienced a similar issue. (The spots weren't that big. A little bigger than a pin head, but were dark.)

I noticed them about 3 hours after I had applied the stain. I just took a rag dampened with mineral spirits and gently wiped the spots and everything blended together ok. No sanding required.

Not sure if that will work in your case or not.

Just be sure that you have given the stain ample time to dry thoroughly before hitting it with your poly. I had an issue awhile back with the poly not adhering because I rushed the dry time of the oil based stain.

Wayne

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
I applied the stain 3 days ago, and this is the first chance I've had to get back into the shop....so it's def. too dry to wipe up with mineral spirits. I also have a raised shiny stain on my laminate workbench....mineral spirits didn't touch it.

Maybe light sanding?? Or will the sanding show through once I apply the poly?

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Jeff,
I had something similar when I stained a small pine table. There was some knots in the top, which I had selected for a little added character, however I too didn't wipe all the stain off. Several days later I found hard beads of stain on the knot areas. I carefully cut them off with a razor blade, lightly sanded them flat and applied poly. Some cut so flat I left them be and skipped the sanding. Hope that helps. Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS