Help needed to decide IF I should buy a lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

joec

joe
User
I have a full shop, other than a lathe. I love owning tools and have some tools (benchtop mortiser) that I seldom use, but like having if I need. I am now building my 3rd Maloof rocker and I have had a friend turn the front two legs on the first two. Decision time for me. I could buy a lathe (thinking the Jet Midi) and then see where it takes me going forward. Just wondering how many guys buy a lathe and it just sets there? I have seldom had a need for a lathe, but wonder if I would do other projects if I had one. Thanks.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have been turning for the past 15 years. Buying a lathe is just the beginning of the purchases. You will also need lathe tools (gouges) at least a starter set; sharpening wheel, eye/face protection, respirator to protect your lungs (fine dust) as a minimum just to get started.

I say you sign up for the Goodwill Lathe - give it a try then make the decision. Turning is not for everyone but it is sure a fun and slippery slope to be on!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If a tool is small, doesn't cost too much, and can be used for more than one thing then I will buy one the first time I need to use it.

If it cost more than $50, takes up floor space, and only does one thing (such as a mortiser) then I wait till I need it again or the need exceeds my reservations or I may not ever buy one if I can find other ways to get the job done.

A lathe is one of those essential multipurpose tools that i never knew I could not get along without until I had a good one.

If you see the need then be sure to get one;

1. BIG enough
2. variable speed
3. fully tooled (chuck, drill chuck for tailstock, different sizes and shapes of tool rests)
4. sharpening equipment
5. adequate dust collection

And don't forget training, you may do fine without but good training will speed you along in gaining skills and technique.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
We have a project known as the 'Goodwill Lathe' project. It is a lathe that is owned by NCWW and is rotated among our users approximately every 3 months. Not sure when it is due to be passed on to it's next user, but it might be fairly soon. This is a full set including the lathe, turning tools and the systems needed to sharpen them. It's purpose is to let somebody try before they buy to determine if they are really interested in turning. It might be possible for you to be put on the list to receive the lathe next time it is passed on if this is of interest to you.

It is the responsibility of the current and future owner to arrange for the transportation of the lathe to its new owner. If you're interested, we can work to find out the details of current owner and when its due to be transferred. Let us know.

joec

joe
User
We have a project known as the 'Goodwill Lathe' project. It is a lathe that is owned by NCWW and is rotated among our users approximately every 3 months. Not sure when it is due to be passed on to it's next user, but it might be fairly soon. This is a full set including the lathe, turning tools and the systems needed to sharpen them. It's purpose is to let somebody try before they buy to determine if they are really interested in turning. It might be possible for you to be put on the list to receive the lathe next time it is passed on if this is of interest to you.

It is the responsibility of the current and future owner to arrange for the transportation of the lathe to its new owner. If you're interested, we can work to find out the details of current owner and when its due to be transferred. Let us know.

Thanks for this suggestion. I will probably buy one before I went through that process. I like owning tools, so will probably buy one anyway.

joec

joe
User
Okay, I just placed an order for the Jet 1221VS. Now that I am on the slippery slope of turning, what turning tools do I need to start? Brand? Also, I have the jet slow speed grinder, what jig do I need to sharpen?

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Joe, since you have made the decision to go down the slope. I would recommend a starter set of turning tools like this one from Kilingspors: http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/wk23040/

After you have decided that you want to go further with turning (addicted, you will be) then I would start looking at buying higher quality turning tools.

joec

joe
User
Joe, since you have made the decision to go down the slope. I would recommend a starter set of turning tools like this one from Kilingspors: http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/wk23040/

After you have decided that you want to go further with turning (addicted, you will be) then I would start looking at buying higher quality turning tools.

I want to buy what I need off the start with high quality tools. Just a starter set, but the high quality off the start. I also wonder how the ones with the replaceable tips work and how they fit in a set of tools.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I want to buy what I need off the start with high quality tools. Just a starter set, but the high quality off the start. I also wonder how the ones with the replaceable tips work and how they fit in a set of tools.
Joe, Before you can decide what tools you need, you need to decide what youre going to turn. If youre going to turn spindles, buy a spindle gouge, 3/4" minimum I would say, a parting tool, a skew ( I like eliptical ones) and a 3/8" spindle gouge to start. For bowls a high quality 1/2" bowl gouge and a parting tool are necessities as well as a chuck. These are the bare necessities IMO. Your mileage may vary.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Okay, I was thinking of the back legs.

That's why the 1221 is better than the older Midi lathes that were 18".

joec

joe
User
Ok, I got the lathe set up. I had a Jet slow speed grinder and have installed in on a rolling work table I had, and put the lathe opposite the grinder. I installed the Wolverine sharping system with the grinder and bought the set up tools from Raptor (Craft Supplies). I orders a basis starter set of turning tools and actually turned a piece of Walnut yesterday. After that experience, I ordered the Big Gulp dust hood from Penn State as I have my beginner DC from Penn State still in my shop, I will hook it up to the Big Gulp and hope to keep the dust down (not the chips) as I see this will be a mess. Note, I try to keep a clean shop. I think once I turn my Maloof rocker front legs and get that project done, I will try to learn basic turning by making a bunch of bottle toppers for Christmas gifts. Is there any other things, chucks etc that I will need? I ordered the bottle topper mandrel yesterday. I am unsure how the chuck would work for this turning and that will be my next purchase. Do I need a drill press type chuck for the lathe? I am squarely on the slippery slope of lathe tuning now and the checkbook is open.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
attachment.php

If you think you might want to turn bowls etc, a chuck is a great addition. I have the 4 jaw economy chuck from Penn state industries that works for me and is one of the less expensive chucks and comes with free jumbo jaws. Although, I wish it had one handed operation as you have to use 2 tightening levers to tighten it down. A jacobs chuck is also nice if you ever want to drill holes, pen blanks, bowls, etc.

Attachments

• slippery_slope_sign_shutterstock.jpg
    slippery_slope_sign_shutterstock.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 217

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I have a full shop, other than a lathe. I love owning tools and have some tools (benchtop mortiser) that I seldom use, but like having if I need. I am now building my 3rd Maloof rocker and I have had a friend turn the front two legs on the first two. Decision time for me. I could buy a lathe (thinking the Jet Midi) and then see where it takes me going forward. Just wondering how many guys buy a lathe and it just sets there? I have seldom had a need for a lathe, but wonder if I would do other projects if I had one. Thanks.

Don't buy a lathe!!!

The result will be total addiction, way too much shop time and a neglected family!:wink_smil

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Is it one size fits all lathes with these chucks?

Definitely not! The size of your lathe will dictate which adapter you need to buy for the chuck you have. Some chucks will need an insert in order to mount the chuck to your lathe. Most midi-lathes have a 1" x 8 TPI spindle. Larger lathes will have a 1-1/4 x 8 TPI spindle. Know your spindle size before you price and buy a chuck. Nothing worse than buying a chuck and take it home to realize you can't use it as is because your don't have the right adapter for your lathe. DAMHIKT

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Looks like the Jet has a 1" x 8 TPI which is common on the smaller lathes, another thing of note is the taper on the tail stock, the Jet looks like it has a #2MT, need to make sure when you buy Jacob's chuck or centers that they are #2MT

Truefire

New User
Chris
For starters...and for turning legs...a roughing gouge and a 3/8" spindle gouge will suffice. Those two will put you on the ground running for a long time. You can turn tons of things with just those two. My next would be a fingernail gouge -'fingernail spindle gouge'. If you know what your'e doing a fingernail gouge can double as a skew.

The 1221 is a good lathe. You'll love it. I have a much earlier version and its the most used piece of equipment. Although I can't speak explicitly for the newer 1221s...but the earlier models are essentially bullet proof. Although, the motors don't look like much, I've never heard much complaint about the midi's motors going out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS