Help needed for broken bolt in Bosch ros65vc sander

llucas

luke
Senior User
first off let me say that I love this sander....have used it extensively for the past 7 years...no trouble at all.
today while sanding a cabinet..POW...sanding pad flies off...inspection shows the bolt in the center of the pad (which holds it on to the fan assembly, I believe, has sheared off inside the threaded recess...the sheared remains are about 2 thread revolutions inside and no easy way to grip it.
Before I go to unscrewing everything to get a better look inside, has anyone faced this problem before on this sander. Some online reviews mention it as a problem, but offer no solution. I don't have any special bolt removal equipment, but I will buy some if it is the thing to do.
Sorry I didn't take any pics, but will if anyone thinks it will help diagnose/treat/cure this problem.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Luke, can you even get a replacement bolt? Does the tool have a parts breakdown? You may be looking at getting one of those tools that go into a hole you drill into the end of the broken bolt.

Roy G

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
You need a tool called an Easy Out. Its easy to use as long as you READ and Follow The instructions! DAMHIK.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
IF you use an easy out, you may want to pick up a set of carbide drill bits. Carbide will drill into even hardened steel. If the broken surface is too rough or uneven to start a drill bit, you can use a dremel tool with a pointed grinder to drill a small recess in the surface to help cennter the bit. Another option is to start with a very small diameter bit, and then enlarge the hole to match the easy out.

Carbide bits are very hard, so they are also brittle, and do not accept much sideways pressure before snapping. If starting with a small diameter bit, do not over pressure it. Slower rpm better than high speed.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I would use a center punch and make a divot near the edge of the broken bolt. Then hold it at an angle with the punch in the divot and tap it with a hammer in the proper direction to loosen it.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
A divot can also deform the threads enough to make it tight and hard to extract. Working on old British cars, I have had to deal with a few issues.

llucas

luke
Senior User
OK...Wow!!! guys really chimed in. Thank You!
So following the above advice, I got a bolt extractor the correct size for the bolt....center punched the remnant a few times...drilled the center with a small bit....enlarged the hole with a bigger bit (thats when the bolt actually started screwing farther in!)...tapped the extractor in gently til it bit...used a small wrench to easily unscrew the remnant...no damage to internal threads...reassembled sander with a new bolt and back to work.
That was a lot easier than I thought it would be thanks to this community of helpers.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Now try that with a rusted 50 year old chassis bolt you can't get a drill lined up in and the bolt so rusted you break the EZout. Ask me how I know. :)

Good show. They also make left hand drill bits just for that kind of problem.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
A simple secret get a set of left hand cobalt drill bits. Pilot a small hole with a right handed and then switch to a left handed drill bit. Put the drill in low rpm and in reverse and it 90% works the same as a easy out.
Also when you want to frustrate a buddy, left hand twist drill bits are funny to watch your buddy trying to drill in forward......... ;) :p

i simple secert

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS