HELP - Need a Workshop Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
My shop has outgrown my garage and I am talking the other half into letting me put in a small barn as a woodshop. I have been thinking about something in the size I find at HDepot with two stories, but I know it can be built or contracted for less.

Does anyone happen to have plans for one or know of a good turnkey provider?

Thanks

David

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I am going to build the BORG two story garage for my house. I dont have plans or anything yet, but when I get back I will be taking a pencil, pad, camera, and tape measure and violate the one they have on display. (untill i am asked to leave that is)

Last edited:

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
I think he means "BORG"...Big Orange Retail Giant (Home Depot). Sometimes it is also used to refer to Lowe's (as a big retail giant).

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
When i worked at 84 lumber we had plans and kits for garages. You could buy the plans with a material list for $ 20 - 40 bucks i think. They had detailed drawings and what not too. More expensive had certified blueprints in case you need a permit too. If there's an 84 nearby i recommend you talk to them. I think they also now have plans online and you might be able to buy the plans there.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I know that my Dad (in NY) built his 30x36 garage 4 years ago, he shopped around alot before settling on a package. He went with 84 lumber. He was very happy with it. It included trusses, siding, roofing, windows, doors and everything but electrical and the foundation/slab.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Good advice! I was lucky, at my old house there was an 18x26 slab already there. All it needed was a plan I put together, a course of block, framing, site built trusses, lots of sheet wood products and I had a shop. 3 months start to finish, with me working fulltime.

With too many things already going on, I hesitate to do this myself this time. I have enough friends in construction that we could get'er'done in a weekend for a trade of good food and a beer when it's over.

It would be nice to start with a ready-to-go plan this time or just a truck to dump off the materials and an instruction book.

BORG,,, now that is funny!! Never would have figured it out on my own either.

Thanks,

David

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I know that my Dad (in NY) built his 30x36 garage 4 years ago, he shopped around alot before settling on a package. He went with 84 lumber. He was very happy with it. It included trusses, siding, roofing, windows, doors and everything but electrical and the foundation/slab.

Any Idea what the ball park cost was for that?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
awfully big shop Michael, would that fit on your current lot without getting you in trouble with Hope Mills? and the neighbors?

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Pete,
Ya I couldn't make that size at my current home. My wife and I are looking for some land around the hope mills area. We have discussed just buying property and will build the woodworking shop first on site. That way there will be a dedicated shop there and while the house is being built I can build the cabinets for our kitchen. Of course this is down the road a ways but I like to stay on track with our dreams. I have checked with zoning laws and can replace the little shed I have out back with a little bigger one and If we choose I can extend the shop out about another cars width. If I could find a contractor to lay the foundation and see if I can get a contractor to show me how to do it I would tackle the extension myself. Having it done by a company is way to much for my budget.

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
My dad and I built my shop about 4 years ago. It's 16X24. I drew up a rough sketch of what I wanted, had it checked over by the county inspectors. My BIL figured up the materials I'd need. Took about a month to get it complete. 1 week between me and my dad for the framing and roof. The rest was sheathing etc. trim. It's still a work in progress though :oops: .

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
My dad and I built my shop about 4 years ago. It's 16X24. I drew up a rough sketch of what I wanted, had it checked over by the county inspectors. My BIL figured up the materials I'd need. Took about a month to get it complete. 1 week between me and my dad for the framing and roof. The rest was sheathing etc. trim. It's still a work in progress though :oops: .
All shops are a work in progress. For most of us, when our life is done, so is our shop! Then the scavengers come in and buy it all from widow for ten cents on the dollar. Will your tools to a woodworking friend!

J

jeff...

Good advice! I was lucky, at my old house there was an 18x26 slab already there. All it needed was a plan I put together, a course of block, framing, site built trusses, lots of sheet wood products and I had a shop. 3 months start to finish, with me working fulltime.

With too many things already going on, I hesitate to do this myself this time. I have enough friends in construction that we could get'er'done in a weekend for a trade of good food and a beer when it's over.

It would be nice to start with a ready-to-go plan this time or just a truck to dump off the materials and an instruction book.

BORG,,, now that is funny!! Never would have figured it out on my own either.

Thanks,

David

Hey Dave, If you need some help let me know, I love pounding nails. Why not save some $$$ and use rough cut pine? you gotta mill...

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
While a garage door pretty well negates the need, all-in-all I'm a big fan of six foot steel French doors for shops and sheds.
Not overly expensive in plain slab configuration, gives you a nice 3' door and when the need arises or it's just a beautiful day, you swing the "fixed" side open and you've got wonderful light, ventelation, access!! Whats not to like????:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors