Help-Interior door replacement

JohnW

New User
John
Replacing 18 interior doors with new slabs. Spacing on all existing jamb hinge mortices are not consistent so looking for info/advice on an adjustable mortice jig that I could hold up next to existing jamb and adjust for each mortice position. Anyone have experience with something like this? Good reviews? Stay away from reviews?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yep, I have the Bosch hinge system. It works great, but it is in the upper range in price.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
A couple of years back, I replaced about 13 interior doors with solid slab doors. (Original post, but missing the picture links. Photos should still be in my photo albums- Interior Door Replacement Project, here at the site.)

I addressed the hinge mortjce location by using the old door as a template to locate the mortices and using a Hinge-Mate I managed to accurately cut them all.

https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/interior-doors-all-done.56148/

https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?media/albums/interior-door-replacement-project.1980/

Wayne

Last edited:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a Bosch template system for a three hinge door. You can borrow but it is in Raleigh. See if you can find somebody that could bring to to you

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Get a set of horses, take each door you are replacing, old and new clamp together,clamp to horses. transfer hinge locations from old to new. make a jig for the hinge for what router you are using,tack the jig to the marks on the new door,route the mortise. Do EVERY door the same way,you now have duplicate doors.USE the SAME reference point for all doors ie tops flush

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Assuming all of the OP's hinges are the same size and the new doors are the same size as the old, this seems not too hard to make a jig for:

clamp old and new slabs face to face and transfer hinge locations from old and new
unclamp old door and clamp homemade hinge template over hinge marks on new door
route
repeat steps 2 and 3 twice more for the other hinges
move on to next door and repeat 17 times more...

-Mark

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Phil the template jig is great for production of all new doors but in this case every door is going to be different so they have to be copied

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Get a set of horses, take each door you are replacing, old and new clamp together,clamp to horses. transfer hinge locations from old to new. make a jig for the hinge for what router you are using,tack the jig to the marks on the new door,route the mortise. Do EVERY door the same way,you now have duplicate doors.USE the SAME reference point for all doors ie tops flush

This is the exact method I used too. Also marked bottom for cutting the new door height.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I like to cut hinge mortises with my Bosch colt using a top bearing flush cutting bit. That lets me make a simple jig of scraps just tacking pieces to outline the hinge - or sometimes cutting pieces and glueing them back together. It's nice if the hinge radius matches the bit. I would not try and rig up two or three of these, I would mark and cut each hinge using the old door for the location.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I do the same. Most of what I do when rehanging to existing hinge cuts is largely done by hand. I found I can go about as fast as setting up a jig. Just depends, maybe I am old school

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
This is the same method Ive used but I make a simple jig Ive described below:

Attachments

• IMG_0691.jpg
    IMG_0691.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 117

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
LOL ! I do that as well if there are a lot of these I call it a roughing jig, use a little router to rough out the hinges and detail with a chisel. I usually make onsite in the field as needed.
Additionally, being a lazy bugger, Ill make a door hold stand which is nothing more than a 2x6 30" long with a cut in it down 2 inches with an angle and wedge

Sorry for scrawl, actually doing this between work.

202010080853431000.jpg

This is the same method Ive used but I make a simple jig Ive described below:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS