HELP... I have the chance to buy PSI Turncrafter Pro HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the chance to buy this for $226.03 total the seller offered me a second chance auction... I am not in a rush for a lathe I just want a good quality and a good deal... I have had this on a wish list on Amazon and it goes for like $367 there... I have been waiting to find a used lathe a jet or delta.... I am am looking to turn smaller stuff pens, and little other items and if I buy the bed extension I can do spindles anyway.... I know they were talking about poor psi kit quality in another thread
$%28KGrHqJ,%21jYE66L%21U%29MPBO-5mnZQrw%7E%7E60_12.JPG

PSI Woodworking TCLC10VS Commander 10 in. Variable Speed Midi Lathe New

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
3/4 HP, 500 RPM minimum speed do make it mostly s spindle turning lathe. I have a very similar 1/2 HP VS with a little higher low speed. If you think you might get get the bowl turning bug, then I would wait for something that will turn slower at the low end with more power. But seems like a reasonable deal if it will do all you want and looks to take "standard" accessories.

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
Not sure what anyone can say about PSI's quality other than they're great. I have the older model of this lathe and I have no complaints with it. It's well suited for pens, small items and spindles - the only problem I ever had was when I first got it, the circuit would pop on it if I turned anything starting around 8 inches in diameter - I call PSI's tech support and they 2-day expressed me a replacement variable control box and have had problems since.

Last edited:

navy1990

New User
Matt
I have had that exact lathe for almost a year now. I have no complaints about it. It's got enough power to do what I want and the set up is easy. It was my first venture into the vortex and I got sucked in pretty quick. I say, "go for it."

PSI said they will not honor the warrenty on it since I am not the first purchaser.... I understand this but I thought it was at least worth the call to find out and know ahead of time....

so as long as it is not broken and nothing else is wrong with it then It is a ok deal but if something is wrong with it .... is it worth the risk to save a bit of money

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
If it's on ebay and described as "working" and you use paypal, I believe you get some sort of guarantee from paypal. Check this as I'm not sure of the details.

Shipping might be a killer if you need to return it though.

- Ken.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
And I would certainly wait to provide FB on the transaction until I was sure it was in good shape. I have the small VS that Rockler sold for a while that I am pretty sure is the same as the older PSI models (I put a PSI bed extension on it and it required no modification; just bolted right together) and it has been solid.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
There is a review of this very lathe in Fine Woodworking magazine - Issue #193, Oct 2007,
page 28. Heading reads "Midi-lathe is precise but lacks power and convenience"

There is a review of this very lathe in Fine Woodworking magazine - Issue #193, Oct 2007,

I think that review was done with the older model with a 1/2 hp motor.... This one is 3/4

at this point I think I am going to pass on it but I could change my mind in the next 4 hours

buy once not twice.... If I knew this would be trouble free buying it and it working and everything lining up right but it is seeming too risky at this point

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I frequent Ebay so I must caution you about 'second chance offers'. Many times they are bogus setups by hackers. Be sure the offer is coming from the seller. Commit to nothing unless this can be verified to your satisfaction.
I once bid on a lawn mower & received such an offer. Seeing the seller was very close to where I lived, I asked for an address and offered to bring cash to look over the unit before purchase. I never heard another word. It was a scam.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

The 3/4 HP PSI model was reviewed by FWW in late 2010, and was their "Best Value" pick. The Delta 46-460 was the "Best Overall".

I recall this because after reading the review I was about to order a new one from PSI when I found a used Delta on Craigslist.

yea I let the deal slide bye I just could not bare the weight of the risk..... I might get the Rikon that Kevin got or I might just wait a while and try to find the delta.... since the PSI would not be covered by warranty and the Rikon is 5 years the money saved was not really going to be money saved long term if there is a problem...

Thanks for everyone's help with this and going for the rikon or the delta would get me a little bigger lathe

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
I fell (or was pushed...thanks Charlie) into the vortex just before the holidays and bought the Delta 46-460 from Woodcraft in Raleigh. At the time, it was $649 with a 10% discount (don't know if they still have that deal) and a $50 mail-in rebate, so I got it for $534+tax. I know it is a little more than the Rikon, but from all the reviews and recommendations, I think it is a better lathe. Also if I decide to upgrade later, resale value will probably be pretty good.

A couple of selling points for me was variable speed and it is reversible. I'm still learning, but so far I love this lathe.

Delta 46-460

yea the delta seems to be the winner in that size followed buy jet but the Rikon seems like a better value then the jet.... the Nova Comet II looks really neat and less then the Delta but out of stock at Amazon

in regard to the auction that started this they re listed the item and it is going for more money then I could have gotten it for with 3 days today.... but its ok I deleted it from my amazon wish list also... when no one at the other pen turning forum would say good things about it that means something

so when I had my chance I could have bought it for lets say 170 before shipping and they relisted it and it sold for 295.... then with shipping it would end up $360 from ebay when they same person could have bought it brand new from Amazon with WARRENTY for $367.55 free shipping

PSI Woodworking TCLC10VS Commander 10 in. Variable Speed Midi Lathe New | eBay

people are just crazy and prices are just crazy.... I do not regret not buying it because it was too much risk if it did not work... PSI quality is questionable in my research .... and I think I was at least a 12" lathe to start and that was a 10"

anyway thanks for the help I was at woodcraft looking again today and I think I want the Delta now and not the Rikon... but they again I might not buy anything for a while

If you get the Delta, make sure it is the variable speed and reversible.

yea that is the one I really liked it... the build quality and finish seemed well above the rest in person and that is what most of the reviews were saying online.... it had the best pulleys and easiest best adjustment

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the Delta Variable speed model and am very happy with it. It goes on sale at WoodCraft for about $100 off occasionally. I bought mine there when it was on sale. Ask them when it is next on sale, they sometimes can honor a sale price a week or so before / after.

- Ken.

I have the Delta Variable speed model and am very happy with it. It goes on sale at WoodCraft for about $100 off occasionally. I bought mine there when it was on sale. Ask them when it is next on sale, they sometimes can honor a sale price a week or so before / after.

- Ken.

Wood Craft can take $100 off cause they are $100 higher then Amazon to start with.... it does have a $50 rebate right now.... if they dropped it on sale $100 less then amazon then they would have my credit card number right away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS