Hello from Graham!

Status
Not open for further replies.

max_in_graham

New User
Max
Hello everyone!

WOW!! This place is a hidden jewel that I'm really glad to find!

I make little claim at being much more than a sawdust maker, but I'm certain that I can learn from the talented folks here.

A bit about me...

I've always appreciated antiques and I guess I got the bug a few years ago when my wife and I started to refinish furniture.

Of course, I spent many hours in front of "This Old House" and have learned to hate Norm... He's got too many tools.

Then I watched Roy Underhill one time too many. I tried to make a workbench from some oak on our property. Being as green as the oak I was milling... well, lets just say I ended up making another bench.

I'm now building a recording studio here in Graham. Once the studio is built, I'll finally have room to put a proper woodshop together in a smallish 14x16 outbuilding. (something tells me it might expand a bit... but don't tell the wife!)

The studio is being finished with red oak, cedar, walnut and a little bit of maple lumber I had sawed from timber on the property.

I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you fine folks and trying to pound into this thick skull of mine, any hints, tips or otherwise that the good folks here might be willing to share.

Max

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Max to the saw dust heap. I am happy you found us. There are 2 main rules. Nothing is made or found or purchased without a picture to prove it. The other is there are no dumb questions.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Max, we're glad you found us too. Thanks for the intro. What kind of music do you plan to record in your studio?
I look forward to your input in the forums and hopefully seeing some pictures of the studio and other things you are working on.
See you around!

Dave:)

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Welcome Max. Too bad you weren't here a couple of weeks ago, you missed the annual picnic. :wsad: However there are a couple of shop crawls this summer. Charlotte and Southern Raleigh.

Doug

max_in_graham

New User
Max
Thanx for the warm welcome guys!

I'm used to gettin' the camera out for the studio build... so, look for pix.

I've been documenting the ordeal... errrr... studio build on my website... (5 long years). If you're a glutton for punishment, feel free to check it out and comment.

Generally, we operate a mobile recording service and record mostly churches, but I hope to record country, bluegrass, rock and roll, and blues in the new studio. A lot of the other music just ain't my thing, so I doubt we'll be doing any rap or hip hop.

If I can get some of this insanity around here finalized, I'd like to make some of the shop crawls!

Again, thanks for the welcome! Seems to be a good bunch of folks up here... (I think there's something humbling about makin' sawdust)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Generally, we operate a mobile recording service and record mostly churches, but I hope to record country, bluegrass, rock and roll, and blues in the new studio. A lot of the other music just ain't my thing, so I doubt we'll be doing any rap or hip hop.

Rap and hip hop aren't music in my opinion either :icon_thum:icon_thum

Great blog, you're no stranger to documenting a build....you'll do well around here :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site Max plenty of folks here willing to help out with what they know. If I may aslo add help you spend your money on more and bigger tools of course.

Where in Graham are you? I'm out by the Indian Valley golf course. I grew up a few miles from here just about a mile from Western Alamance high School

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Max, Welcome to the site. You will find a lot of friends here. Everyone is always willing to help. I am glad you found us and am looking forward to seeing some of your work.

RandyJ

New User
Randy
Welcome, Max! You have found the friendliest WWing site on the whole WWW! Nice folks here always willing to help. Don't hesitate to jump in with questions or suggestions.
Just to make sure you understand, "NO PICTURES, DIDN'T HAPPEN" is our mantra :slap:!

Enjoy the site,

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Hi max_in_graham, what's your name and where are you from? :rolf:
Glad you decided to come join us, but I must question your priorities - the shop comes first! It will be much, much easier to build a studio once you have your workshop all set up - provided you don't get stuck in the vicious cycle of doing shop projects, building jigs, building jigs to make shop projects etc. :)

I look forward to seeing or hearing some of your work.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome Max!!! (I have made a note to jump over to your website and take a gander at that studio you having working on.)

I too am looking forward to your input to the forum and anxious to see some your new shop projects here at NCWW'er!

Have fun and again .....WELCOME!!!

Wayne

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Hi Max, Good to have you here! I'm interested in the studio, someday I would like to give my daughter a present of studio time so she can record some of her Celtic Harp music. I'll be watching your progress, maybe come visit sometime.

If we can help just let us know.

max_in_graham

New User
Max
Thanx for the gracious welcome guys!

I would make the shop priority one, except I've got WAY too much stuff.... EVERYWHERE!

The studio's 1800 sq ft and a LOT more room to do some actual woodworking in.

Don't have a tremendous amount of toys, but hopefully enough to get the studio finished... then I can move everything out of storage buildings and into the shop.

I've got the basics... 10 Craftsman Table, 14" Delta Bandsaw, 6" Woodtek Jointer, 13" Delta Planer... a 3/4 completed version 1 of Norm's router table, Sears compund miter, 10" Kobalt sliding compound, a decent Ryobi router, a coupla' skilsaw's, a coupla' jigsaws and drills including a 12" drillpress. My bench has a Marples 40x14 end vise and a 6x10 Pony side vise... need to rebuild it... not quite sturdy enough... but it should hold for awhile.

So, while not the best shop, I certainly am looking forward to asking you guys for advice on how to put it all together. That way... I can make sawdust REAL efficiently!

I'm located just outside the Graham city limits. If you're familiar with NC87, we're just down from I-85/40 about 5 miles.

All I can say is... this is certainly a serious treat being here. I'm lookin' forward to getting to know and hopefully meeting some of you!

Thanx again for the warm reception!

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the site, Max -- happy you found us and we'll look for pictures of your shop and studio and such. BTW, DavidF (David Fenton) lives a few miles north of the US 64 end of NC 87 and is a good guy to know here. There may be others closer to you, too; but truth be told, we're all just a few keystrokes away...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS