Hello from Durham!

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Good afternoon to all - I'm a long-time lurker here but this is my first post. I'll be able to attend the picnic this year, so I figured it made sense to introduce myself. I've been woodworking for about 10 years but I put together my first dedicated shop last winter, so I've been excited to work on all sorts of projects lately that I never had space to do before. I mostly make furniture - a little for our house but mostly for friends and family. I love a project, so if someone wants a particular piece and is willing to get out their checkbook at the Hardwood Store, I'm ready to make it happen.

I'm looking forward to meeting some of you in person at the picnic and finding some tools to help fill out my shop. Attached are a couple of pictures of my projects from the last few months.

Attachments

• 0323191058c_HDR.jpg
    0323191058c_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 251
  • 1124181330a_HDR.jpg
    1124181330a_HDR.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 258
  • 1224181105_HDR.jpg
    1224181105_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 271

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard, Mitch. You have quite a few active members close to you.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Thanks, Stuart and Raymond. Looking forward to meeting others around the Triangle. I've really enjoyed the shop setup process and putting together the fixtures, jigs, and everything else I've found myself needing (or just wanting), so I'm always looking for an opportunity to see how others have done it.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I agree, nice work.

You reminded me that I was going to build a new TV stand as well - and now you have completed one! Putting me to shame really.

Nice work, (and inspirational too!). Welcome aboard.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Much appreciated and thanks for the welcome. As far as my TV stand, necessity was the mother of invention. I bought a new TV and when I got it out of the box I realized that the feet were too wide to sit on my old stand. 48" between the feet on a 40" wide stand is a no-go. Needless to say I was motivated to get it built quickly. The back is a frame and panel like the sides and the cord hole comes out of the bottom of the carcass so it can sit away from the wall if that's ever needed.

Attachments

• 1120181748d_HDR.jpg
    1120181748d_HDR.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 186

cmboggs

Chris
User
Mitch! Great to meet you. I'm in Durham too.

Your work is amazing and I'd love to hear more about your setup.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Chris, nice to meet another Durham woodworker. Amazing might be pushing it, but I'll take take it. Hah. My shop is a 16x24 basement with some of the space taken up by stairs, water heater, and washer/dryer. I have it separated into two sections, one for power tools/assembly and the other for hand tools and general workbench fiddling. All of the big tools are on shop-built mobile bases (planer, 6" jointer, table saw). Here are a couple of pictures from sometime last year - they're not great but they should give you the idea.

Attachments

• 1104180952a_HDR.jpg
    1104180952a_HDR.jpg
    987.7 KB · Views: 258
  • 1104180952c_HDR.jpg
    1104180952c_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 198

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Mitch, thanks for posting pictures of your work; you do beautiful work! Looking forward to meeting you at the picnic.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Welcome Mitch, glad you joined in. Please do not be shy, feel free to join in a conversation or ask any question.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Welcome Mitch, very nice work! Join us on the 3rd Friday of every month in Cary for Lunch. Notice will be posted here.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Welcome Mitch! Nice work that you've done. What kind of wood did you use and how are they finished?

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Thanks, Jeff. The nightstand is predominantly walnut with some maple ply for parts of the carcass, drawers, and side panels. The TV stand is sapele and maple ply. Sapele top, edge banding, doors, etc and maple ply carcass and end/back panels. The nightstand is finished with tung oil and spray satin poly, and TV stand is finished with wipe-on poly.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS