Heinrich Bracht chisels

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
There seem to be a lot of experienced hand chisel users so I thought I'd ask here.
I came into this set of Heinrich Bracht chisels for short money because they looked like the Two Cherries brand. A little internet trolling makes me think they were made in the same factory if that makes any difference.

My question is does anyone out there have any hands-on experience with these?

Sure, I did internet due diligence and found lots of speculative conversation as one does on the internet, but that's not what I'm looking for.

This set is metric so there's that petty annoyance, but if the steel is good, that's not a deal breaker and I'll put these into service. The steel now is covered with a heavy lacquer type finish to inhibit rust so getting that stuff off may not be worth it if these chisels are little better than department store house brand chisels. They look well made.

1     Heirich Bracht - 1.jpg

1     Heirich Bracht - 2.jpg

1     Heirich Bracht - 3.jpg

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
No experience with the brand. However, if they turn out to be sub-par, they can always be used a a beater set to get started with your project and then switch to the good ones you will eventually acquire for doing the finish work.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
The construction reminds me of the Aldi chisels that Paul Sellers loves so much. I have a couple of sets and no complaints..... but I did modify the handles and removed the end rings.

PXL_20210905_233732844.jpg

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
No experience with the brand. However, if they turn out to be sub-par, they can always be used a a beater set to get started with your project and then switch to the good ones you will eventually acquire for doing the finish work.
I don't think they look much like the Aldi chisels, but that's what I thought they might be at first.

Beater chisels, I've got plenty of. About a year ago I sold my extra beater and unnecessary chisels on Craigslist for $60.00 so I want to be careful about quality if I choose to build up my chisel inventory again.

1     Heirich Bracht 1 - 1.jpg
Extra chisels I sold for $60.00

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have more chisels than sense. They look like a 2 cherry type, wonder if they were 2 cherry blems that are sold under a different name

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I hadn't considered that they may be blems. The logo and size is stamped on the chisel then the chisel top was ground. Some of the logo was ground away. I would think it would be good process to stamp the logo before hardening and and finish grinding. Chisel steel soft enough to accept that stamp is not what I want.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I suggest you think twice about getting a metric set just because the price is right. That 1/64" that you're off because the chisel doesn't fit the job at best will make you take longer because you have to go back and do it again, and at worst will result in oversized holes and pockets that wreck your joinery fit. Clearing out mortises is a perfect example. If you actually need a beater set, $40 at a big box or Amazon gets you a set of 4 Irwin chisels.

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I suggest you think twice about getting a metric set just because the price is right. That 1/64" that you're off because the chisel doesn't fit the job at best will make you take longer because you have to go back and do it again, and at worst will result in oversized holes and pockets that wreck your joinery fit. Clearing out mortises is a perfect example. If you actually need a beater set, $40 at a big box or Amazon gets you a set of 4 Irwin chisels.
Agree, I got a VonHaus set from Amazon for 40-50 bucks and they are steel backed tops so you really can beat on them. Took a lot to get them flat and in shape but a great beater set. However, sometimes having a metric set is helpful, at least that was the justification for me to own another set... :)
Additionally, I bought a 10 mm long shaft paring and ground to 3/8 to fill the gap between 1/4 & 1/2

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I prefer to work in metric, it makes the work do so much smoother when your measurements are all in one scale.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS