Heat Bending - what glue to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
I have a project where I will want to heat bend some inlay banding on a hot iron pipe.
The banding tends to separate under heat when using regular yellow wood glue. Titebond-II seems to work better, but I still get some separation. Anyone have any experience heat-bending a glued-up laminate? Matt...
bent.jpg

striker

New User
Stephen
Matt,

I read on Rob Millard's blog sometime back about doing what your attempting. I don't recall enough to answer your question but you may want to check it out. I think his site is Americanfederalperiod.com.

I would try hide glue myself

Stephen

Last edited:

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
In the early 80's when I worked in a furniture factory they were using Urea Formaldehyde when hot pressing bent veneer lamination's. I'm not sure if this total applies to your application but I would tend to think that the resin in that type glue would come closer to working.
I believe the new term for this type glue is plastic resin. Sounds so much better for ya to work with doesn't it.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
>>>> I believe the new term for this type glue is plastic resin.

"Plastic Resin" is a brand name owned by DAP/Weldwood for their urea formaldehyde adhesive. Urea formadehyde (UF) is the correct generic name for this type of adhesive.

A suggestion for the OP might be to contact DAP/Weldwood and speak to them about the temperature requirements for their UF. They make a number of adhesives and they may have something else that will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS