Harpsichord Project - Sound Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

Our harpsichord had its debut concert on June 7th - one of the most memorable nights of my life. It's the first time I've ever heard one of my instruments played in concert, by a fabulous musician and harpsichordist, Dr. John O'Brien. Here's a brief bio.
John O'Brien was born into a musical family. He studied piano with his father from the age of five until graduating from high school. While in high school he also studied violin, flute, and later harp. He began his undergraduate studies as a double major in violin and piano performance, studying violin with Robert Gerle and piano with William Masselos. He continued his college studies with John Perry. In 1989, Dr. O'Brien was awarded the DMA in accompanying from the University of Southern California. There he studied with Gwendolyn Koldofsy and Jean Barr. While at USC he also studied organ with Cherry Rhodes and harpsichord with Malcolm Hamilton. Dr. O'Brien has been on the faculty of East Carolina University since 1985. He has been the Professor of Accompanying, Chairperson of the Department of Vocal Studies, and Director of the ECU Opera Theatre. Currently he teaches group piano, harpsichord, and directs the Early Music Ensemble. Dr. O'Brien is also Organist/Choirmaster at the First Presbyterian Church in Kinston, N.C. and he is conductor of the Eastern Youth Orchestra.

John played 13 pieces written for the harpsichord. My next door neighbor, who is a recording engineer, digitally recorded the concert on some really state-of-the-art equipment. If your curiosity gets the better of you and you decide to listen to the concert (or parts of it) please hook your computer up to some speakers or use headphones. You will get absolutely no feel for the sound of the harpsichord using the computer's speakers.

Thanks to Bas and Steve and who knows who else, these files were able to be uploaded. If you're using IE you should have no problem playing the files. If you use Firefox, you may get a window asking you to download a plug-in. Don't! At the bottom of the window you will see this:

Just click on this link and select "Open". The files will play on your default player (probably Media Player)

Here are the sound files. The tracks numbered in red will be somewhat more interesting to those of you whose musical tastes don't include harpsichord music.And with this, we'll close the Harpsichord Project. Thank you all for your many kind comments. I hope I've been able to bring something "a little different" to North Carolina Woodworker. It's been my pleasure!

Till next time,

Ernie

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow Ernie that is really cool sounding. I will admit this is the first time I have ever heard a Harpsichord played. As a matter of a fact I have never seen one built until you graced us with the building of your last one. You have brought quite a bit of culture into my life. Thanks!

P.S. some of the files don't start playing right away, so don't keep turning up the volume thinking they are quiet. When they start they will knock you back, the sound quality and volume level is excellent. Good thing my hearing isn't so good or it would be now :eek:

Dave:)

JohnW

New User
John
Ernie,
The sound is incredible. Best bass I've ever heard in a harpsichord. Thank you so much for sharing this experience with us. Now I'm going back to listen to all the tracks again.

Congratulations on such a fine accomplishment.

Visual and audible excellence.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Bravo, Ernie!!! Simply wonderful. I wish I could have been there, and those that were certainly had a memorable experience. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Matt

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Thanks Ernie! It's awesome to listen to the instrument we watched you build. It sounds great! I admit I still have a few more to read as soon as I get some time, but i keep going back to the series you provided us with :).

nelsone

New User
Ed
That is quite a splendid sound! Thanks for letting us tag along during the build. The sound files really made it more meaningful!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
This is truly exceptional. The quality of the performance as well as the recording is magnificent, and slideshow that shows the build process is the perfect companion.

I feel very fortunate! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

sapwood

New User
Roger
Ernie, I followed your instructions to the T . . . for listening to the files, not building a harpsichord :wink_smil

Utilizing a good sound system the music is awesome!
You rock . . . er, harp :icon_thum
Thanks for introducing and leading us through this unique and extraordinary experience. Hope you don't mind, I am keeping the sound files :mrgreen:

Roger

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Astounding!
I feel smarter already!
I'm gonna burn my banjo (not really I don't own one)!
This is music!:eusa_danc
Lots better than the time I put thumbtacks on the hammers of my girlfriend's (now my LOML) upright.
I really enjoyed that.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Amazing sound! You deserve to be very proud. Incredible journey!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Once again, thanks to all of you for your most appreciated comments. I realize harpsichord music might not be everyone's "cup of tea", but I hope the recordings along with the slides of the construction conveyed something of the feeling of satisfaction I get when I hear one of my instruments played. Actually, all of us here at North Carolina Woodworker, regardless of what we may build, are doing the same thing ........... creating something from nothing! Great way to add meaning to your life, No?

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors