Harpsichord Project Part 6 - Case Sides

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

It’s been 10 days since we started the Harpsichord Project (it seems longer than that to me and probably to you too). I’m trying to keep my posts current with the work so that my mind is still able to remember what I do well enough to attempt to describe it (no guarantees here, for sure). If you’ve ever had a house built you know that the progress seems to go very fast in the beginning and then slows to a crawl. Same thing with building a harpsichord. Pretty soon, the interval between posts will get longer as the real detail work begins.

In this post we will add the case sides to the Bottom and, finally, we’ll end up with a HSO (harpsichord shaped object). Let’s do it!

We will be using screws to clamp the sides to the bottom (and to each other) so the first step is to drill holes around the perimeter of the Bottom. Since the sides are ½” thick we’ll draw a line ¼” in from the outside edges of the Bottom. The first photo shows this.

SIDES1.JPG

The next step is to assemble the entire case without glue. This allows us to get precise measurements for each side as slight differences from the blueprint are inevitable. The joints are simple butt joints (miter joints were more often used in the originals but I’ve never been comfortable with them and they’re difficult to cut on the bentside). The next photo shows the spine clamped to the Bottom. The clamps are adjusted until the spine is 90 degrees to the Bottom and then a few screws are driven through the holes we drilled in the last step into the spine to hold it in place.

SIDES2.JPG

In the next photo we clamp, square, and screw the bentside to the bottom but we’ll leave the length oversized for now.

SIDES3.JPG

Next we install the cheek, mark it for length, and cut it to its proper length.

SIDES4.JPG

Next we install the tail.

SIDES5.JPG

Now that all of the parts are installed onto the Bottom, we’ll mark the bentside for length, cut it to size (actually, we’ll live it slightly too long and sand it flush after it is installed with glue), and re-install it onto the Bottom.

SIDES6.JPG

Here’s a view from the rear.

SIDES7.JPG

Next we’ll drill pilot holes in the bottom edge of all sides drilling through the holes we previously drilled in the Bottom. Then we’ll take the whole thing apart to make some necessary dados, rabbets, and other fun stuff. The next photo shows a ½” wide rabbet routed into the front inside edge of the spine and cheek. In the 17th century these instruments had a front panel which closed in the instrument. It fit into these 2 rabbets. In modern building, this front panel is almost never used but the rabbets remain as a decorative element.

SIDES8.JPG

Next a dado is cut into the spine and cheek which will accept the nameboard.

SIDES9.JPG

Now we will re-install all of the sides (this time with glue). The next photo shows the cheek being glued in. Care is taken to get the sides perpendicular to the bottom especially the front ends of the spine and cheek. Any out of squareness here will be visually apparant when the keyboard end blocks are installed in a much later step. As I said before, screws are used to clamp the parts together while the glue dries. Similarly, the butt joints between adjacent case sides are clamped with screws. Yellow glue is used between the Bottom and the bottom surfaces of the sides. I do use epoxy for the butt joints (although I’ve been convinced for years that this isn’t necessary). In 25 years I’ve never had a problem with joint separation regardless of the type of glue used. After the cheek, the bentside, tail, and spine are similarly glued in. I won’t show photos of this as it would be too repetitive.

SIDES10.JPG

After all the sides have been glued in, the nameboard is glued into the dados we previously cut into the spine and cheek. The next photo shows this.

SIDES11.JPG

The next photo shows 3 of the four slots that were cut into the nameboard and spine. Brass control levers will ultimately pass through the slots in the nameboard which are 3/16” high. The larger slot in the spine is an escape window which will allow the removal of the registers (more on those later) without having to remove the strings first. These slots were cut the old-fashioned way – a series of holes drilled into the wood and a lot of hand work with chisels, files and sandpaper.

SIDES12.JPG

Finally, the screws used as clamps are removed, the holes filled, and the case is rough sanded. The final 3 photos of this Part shows the finished case shell with the keyboard.

SIDES13.JPG

SIDES14.JPG

SIDES15.JPG

The case, as it is now, is far too weak to withstand the 6000 pounds of tension it will be subjected to once the strings are installed and tuned up to pitch. A lot of interior bracing is needed to make the case stiff enough to withstand this tension. Any flex in the case will cause the instrument to go out of tune. Let’s face it – if it won’t hold a tuning it’s useless as a musical instrument. In Part 7 we will add the interior case braces and a few pieces of decorative molding.

Thanks for sticking with me. See you next time.

Ernie

Part 1 - The Keyboard Part 2 -Keyboard con't. Part 3 - Keyboard con't. Part 4 - The Case (Bentside) Part 5 - Case Bottom Part 6 - Case Sides Part 7 - The Lower Braces Part 8 - Case Finished Part 9 - Building the Registers Part 10 - The Stand Part 11 - Jackrail & Moldings
Part 12 - The Music Desk
Part 13 - Building the Benchhttp://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f101/harpsichord-project-part-12-music-desk-18962/

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

I continue to be in awe of your work. You make building a project of this complexity a believable feat. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
This is getting to be a very interesting project, what I see is a clean shop, no sawdust. Do you clean up all the time ? We need to get you on the next shop crawl so we can see the harpsichord in person. It looks great so far.
dick

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
This is getting to be a very interesting project, what I see is a clean shop, no sawdust. Do you clean up all the time ? We need to get you on the next shop crawl so we can see the harpsichord in person. It looks great so far.
dick

That is looking amazing. There is sawdust there. It just happends to be on the disc sander in the background. :gar-La;

Shamrock

New User
Michael
One thing popped out at me while reading-6000 pounds of pressure-WOW that's crazy! Keep it coming-I'm lovin it.

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

nelsone

New User
Ed
Thanks again for taking the time to put this together! I'm thoroughly enjoying following along!

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Ernie, a couple of questions about the blue-prints you've mentioned a couple of times. Brief answers are fine!!

Who draws these up? Can the design differ from customer to customer? I played piano for many years. I was able to play harpsichord a hunnert years ago in college, but didn't study it for long.:) Different pianos can have different tones, but how about the harpsichord? For example, the bentside. I was surprised that the bend didn't need to be a little more precise. How different can the shape of the basic case construction be before you lose the sound you want?

Tom

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Thanks for all your comments and questions. Let me try to answer them one at a time.

Jimmy & Ed

I'll surely keep 'em coming - glad you're still interested.

Rob

It IS a believable feat. It's a long process that's made up of a lot of small projects. The woodworking involved is fairly basic and could easily be accomplished by most NCWW'ers who have the necessary patience.

Dick & Kevin.

I've installed a Molelucar Sawdust Converter in my shop. It catches 100% of all sawdust and converts the waste into 1 x 4's for later use. When the system is down I rely on a daily cleanup using my compressor, broom, and dust collector.

Michael,

6000 lbs. is a guestimate. As this is a rather small instrument (the smallest I've ever attempted) I'd guess the tension might be closer to 4000 lbs. Whichever figure is correct it is quite low when compared with the tension of a similarly sized piano where the tension might be 40,000 lbs making a cast iron plate a necessity.

Tom,

Your questions aren't easy to answer briefly but I'll try. The shape of a harpsichord is derived from the length of the strings which are quite short in the upper end and quite long on the bottom. This gradual increase in length from top to bottom determines the shape of the bridge. The bentside generally follows the shape of the bridge at some reasonable distance, in this case the distance averages about 6". If the bridge is too close to the bentside the soundboard will lose some flexibility and effect the quality of the sound. However, even if you had a distance of 1" between the bentside and bridge, the instrument would still produce a sound. So it becomes a matter of preference. Over the long history of this instrument (over 500 years) it has become the norm to place the bridge somewhere between 4 and 7 inches from the bentside for the "best" tone.

I said somewhere in one of these posts that, in the original instruments, the bentsides were made of solid wood and were bent by holding the wood over the heat of a fire. No two instruments by any instrument maker had exactly the same shaped bentside - even in the same model instrument. The exact shape is of relatively minor consequence because there's no easy way to know what the tone would have been like had the shape been slightly different. These small differences in shape, while probably having some effect on the tone, still produce a tone within the accepted norm.

Plans are available commercialy for many instruments. Some builders are total "purists" who attempt to build an exact replica of the original - complete with the errors and, in some cases, poor design of the original.
Others, like myself, choose to base their instruments on a particular original or style, but redo the plans to reflect their own building preferences. Still others have no use for originals at all and design their own instruments based on what they think is important. I draw up my own plans usually loosely based on an original instrument. The instrument that we're building in this project is based on a 1640 Ruckers harpsichord. The Ruckers family was, and is, renowned for the tone of their instruments. However, some of their work was less than stellar. Some of their cases tended to distort over time and their keyboards weren't particular well made. My goal is to use the best features of an instrument and to try to eliminate the bad features.

I've recently finished a set of plans for a client who wants a Double Manual French instrument but doesn't have the necessary space in his living room for an 8' long harpsichord. So I took the plan and redid it to cut 16" from the length of the instrument. So, in answer to your question, what the customer wants - the customer can get.

Hope this helps.

Thanks all,
Ernie

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Dick & Kevin.

I've installed a Molelucar Sawdust Converter in my shop. It catches 100% of all sawdust and converts the waste into 1 x 4's for later use. When the system is down I rely on a daily cleanup using my compressor, broom, and dust collector.

Cool where can I get one. That must produce some interesting wood if you are using a bunch of different wood species. :gar-Bi I wonder what will come up if I google Molelucar Sawdust Converter.

Again the instrument looks great. I can't wait to see the rest of the process as well as the end product.

What do they typically weigh in a finished state?

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Kevin

Harpsichords typically weigh between 40 lbs. and 140 lbs. I estimate that the one we're building for the Harpsichord Project will weigh about 75 lbs.

As for the Molelucar Sawdust Converter ...........................

Ernie

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Okay so I was a little over in my guesstimate. I figured it would be about 200 lbs. That is really cool. 75 lbs is not bad at all. I can't wait to see the finished project.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
OK, my turn, and this may be totally off the wall, but what makes a harpsichord a harpsichord and a piano a piano? Both use strings, both have keys, so what is the fundamental difference?

BTW, I too am THOROUGHLY ENJOYING THESE THREADS!

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Travis

The main difference between a piano and a harpsichord is the way the sound is produced. In a harpsichord the sound is produced by a small plucker which literally plucks the string. In a piano the string is hit by a felt-covered hammer. The piano was invented in 1700 by a harpsichord maker named Cristofori who replaced the rather simple plucking mechanism with the more elaborate hammer system. This was done to eliminate one of the harpsichord's shortcomings. On the harpsichord, no matter how hard (or quickly) the player hits the key, the volume level stays the same. It is not possible to gradually play louder or softer. The piano (whose original name was the FortePiano - Italian for Loud/Soft) makes this possible thanks to the mechanism (called the 'action') which makes it possible for the hammer to work. This shortcoming of the harpsichord was not seen as a shortcoming by the composers of the time as the need for gradually increasing or decreasing volume was not considered important or necessary.

This was the "quick and dirty" answer to your question. I will go into this in more detail when we build the action of the harpsichord. I'll try to add a few photos showing the differences between the two instruments.

Thanks for a most interesting question.

Ernie

J

jeff...

Ernie - I guess I need to ask an obvious question please excuses me if it's already been asked - but why Poplar and SYP? I'm sure there is a good reason I just don;t know what it is. BTW these threads of yours a wealth of info thank you very much for sharing the process with us.

Thanks

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Ernie - I guess I need to ask an obvious question please excuses me if it's already been asked - but why Poplar and SYP? I'm sure there is a good reason I just don;t know what it is. BTW these threads of yours a wealth of info thank you very much for sharing the process with us.

Thanks

Jeff,

Traditionally cases are made out of a relatively soft wood. The original instrument (built in 1640) had a poplar case and a pine bottom. I use Select White Pine because I don't like knots though I'm not sure they would matter on the Bottom. German harpsichords, for the most part, have cases made entirely of pine. Cypress and Spruce have also been used for cases in various parts of the world. In England the cases are almost always veneered with Walnut but even there, the substrate is a soft wood.

Of course, another advantage of using Pine and Poplar is the availability of these woods. Even the Borgs carry Pine and Poplar although finding a straight board is sometimes challenging.

Thanks for following along with me in this project.

Ernie

J

jeff...

Jeff,

Traditionally cases are made out of a relatively soft wood. The original instrument (built in 1640) had a poplar case and a pine bottom. I use Select White Pine because I don't like knots though I'm not sure they would matter on the Bottom. German harpsichords, for the most part, have cases made entirely of pine. Cypress and Spruce have also been used for cases in various parts of the world. In England the cases are almost always veneered with Walnut but even there, the substrate is a soft wood.

Of course, another advantage of using Pine and Poplar is the availability of these woods. Even the Borgs carry Pine and Poplar although finding a straight board is sometimes challenging.

Thanks for following along with me in this project.

Ernie

Thanks Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors