Harpsichord - Bowls - Sculpture from the New Bern Lunch Bunch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Having just completed my latest harpsichord, the New Bern Lunch Bunch decided to hold our March meeting in my shop in Chocowinity to check it out. Charlie (Charlie Stickney) and Leon (Leon Harkins) came down all the way from Raleigh to join us. Fortunately for us, they brought with them some examples of their amazing work, and I'm still awed by the incredible craftsmanship and detail they displayed. Abiding by our "no pix - it didn't happen" credo, here's some pix.

First up is my just completed harpsichord. It's a big (94" x 38") double keyboard instrument sitting on a turned, sapele stand. The lid painting and soundboard painting was done by my wife, Sandy.

attachment.php

And here's another angle.

attachment.php

And now on my assembly table are the beautiful works by Charlie and Leon. The four segmented bowls that Charlie made are beautiful in pictures, but even more beautiful in person. In some, there are over 3,000 individual pieces that went into the segmenting, and each one is fit to perfection (aka NO BONDO). In the forefront is an amazing sculpture by Leon, made from a single chunk of wood. You have to see it to believe it!

Left to right: Richo (Richard Baker), Leon Harkins, Ernie Miller, Don Sargent, and Charlie Stickney.

attachment.php

And finally, to prove that we are capable of smiling, is the same group with Sandy in the middle.

attachment.php

After our meeting, we went to lunch at Marabella's restaurant and had a great time. All in all, Sandy and I had a wonderful afternoon with some truly talented, down to earth people. Thanks to all.

Ernie

Attachments

• harp.jpg
    harp.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 283
  • harpsichord-2018.jpg
    harpsichord-2018.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 294
  • NCWW-2018.jpg
    NCWW-2018.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 294
  • NCWWSANDY.jpg
    NCWWSANDY.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 293

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow, the harpsichord is stunning. Beautiful work, ok, ok the segmented turning work beautiful as well. Really awesome stuff guys.

JohnW

New User
John
Good grief. Sculpture and segmented work is amazing? Your harpsichords are works of art and Sandy's painting is fantastic. But my vote for MVP goes to Sandy. She's the only one that could get that bunch to smile.

Great talent from great people.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Wow Ernie, the harpsichord is unbelievable, and a fine bunch of other art work from the New Bern crew.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am always proud to be a part of a group that has this level of talent - probably what shocks me the most is everyone's humble attitude! Not a better group of people than here at NCWW!

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
A great time was had by all.

You have see Ernie's Harpsichords in person to appreciate the craftsmanship required to build one. Pictures do not do justice to show the abilities of Ernie and Sandy. What a team![h=2][/h]

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Really sorry I couldn't make it. If I might offer an excuse it would be simply grandchildren.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Really sorry I couldn't make it. If I might offer an excuse it would be simply grandchildren.

Hey Gene,

We're sorry you couldn't make it yesterday. We have a small, but terrific group here in Eastern NC and we hope you can make it to our next lunch get together in April.

Ernie

snack31

New User
Don
My first trip to Ernie and Sandy"s. It was an awesome and humbling experience. Thank you. I also certainly was delighted to see Charlie and Leon's work. Truly inspiring.

-Don

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Another beautiful piece! What is the scene under the lid?

Hey Alan - good to hear from you. The scene came basically from Sandy's imagination. I think it was based on a painting she saw on another harpsichord someplace. We thought that a lot of green would clash with the instrument's color scheme, so a winter scene made sense to us.

Ernie

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
What a gathering of incredible art and artists! You all have the most incredible talent, a gift from God!

Richo B

New User
Richo
I always try to plan these annual reunions to include Charlie and Leon so they can bring some of their unique creations. Leon's creation was something I had never seen before. I think in the past Charlie would bring segmented pieces that Leon had done some carving on. But this idea of finding a log in the woods and being able to imagine how it will look when finished blew us all away. I only have to deal with grain in one direction. Leon explained how the grain swirls up the log and how he has to work with that in removing the waste. Amazing.

Sandy's painting on the harpsichord was very good. But I've seen her work on his other harpsichords and they are all amazing.

For some reason I forgot my cell phone that day so thanks to Ernie for stepping in and taking the photos for the day. It was a very enjoyable Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS