Hardwood Plywood - Winston Salem

RLJones

New User
Ryan
Other than the big box stores, where do you recommend to get 3/4" Hardwood plywood? I am in the Winston Salem area.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Unsure of how fare you are willing to travel - but one of our advertisers (we like suportting them) is over in Gibsonville - The Hardwood store
See the advertisement --------->
I think they deliver as well, not sure of the delivery charge...

zapdafish

New User
Steve
They definitely deliver to Winston-Salem, think it was a 65 charge.

Unsure of how fare you are willing to travel - but one of our advertisers (we like suportting them) is over in Gibsonville - The Hardwood store
See the advertisement --------->
I think they deliver as well, not sure of the delivery charge...

Brownie

New User
Sean
I have the same question however concerned with prices.. for 4 x 8 BB 3/4" is HD and Lowes about the best I am going to do price-wise around here in the Triad or are there better options. @Rick Mainhart how are Rugby's prices?

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Good afternoon Sean,

Last time I picked up plywood from Rugby was on 12/30/20 ...

I picked up 2 sheets of 3/4" 4 x 8 D03 RC WPF Maple White Face VC Sel White Rotary Cut Whole Piece Face VC TSCA (paint grade but really nice face) for $52.51 each. From a material standpoint alone, the material is worlds better than the "white board" stuff Lowes sells (fewer voids, knots, lumps (yea lumps). But, Lowes shows 22 sheets of 3/4" 4x8 Maple ply in stock in WS right now.

Your best bet is to pull the top sheet from the stack at Lowes, and look for the "canned potato chip" effect, bowed in two different directions. If the top sheet is like that, the rest will soon assume the same position based on how the plywood is stacked and handled by Lowes.

You'll also want to examine all four edges and look for voids where they didn't bother filling a knot hole with filler material, as well as looking for displaced knots (thus the lumps) that cause some bothersome thickness changes.

I'd rather drive to Rugby and get good stuff.

Regards,

Rick

Brownie

New User
Sean
@Rick Mainhart Thank you for the reply. Yes, finally came to the conclusion that if I want the good stuff I need to pay for the good stuff and quit whining about it. I really appreciate your feedback and will give Rugby a shot

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yeah the money you save in price is eaten up plus then some in the finishing work.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I thought I would save a bunch of money when I was re-building a kitchen cabinet - went to Wurth and priced the china version versus the alternate (USA made?) brands, it was nearly half the price... it can't be that bad, right? Well the onion-skin "real-wood" top veneer usually delaminated if you just looked at it, let alone trying to cut a line, and sanding, forget about it. If you did break through the veneer layer, underneath was a bright red-orange adhesive, good luck disguising that!

Now many of you know how cheap I am, I didn't even keep it around for a shop project, I threw it away knowing trying to use it would make double the work!

Whitfield

Wells T.
User
I second the Hardwood Store. Great selection, friendly staff, and always some interesting slabs to gawk at. A fun field trip in itself.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS