Hard wood flooring matching old to new

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Hey all
I have just completed a long needed repair to some flooring joists,( 1950 house, which HAD a low spot caused by old water damage)
So since the crawl space's height is not exactly great that would facilitate working under for that kind of work. I removed everything from the inside of the house down to the dirt.
Re-framed with good and straight 2x10s, covered with advantech sub-floor.
I was going to try and use the hardwood that I pulled up but that didn't work as the demolition process kind of tore most of it up so that it wasn't usable.
So I laced in new red oak. It took 5 1/2 bundles, no problem.

The problem is this, what can I do/should do so that the new doesn't look drastically different than the old.:icon_scra the old is, what, 60 years old. No stain just naturally finished.
Should I sand down the entire area or is there a way of blending the new in with the old?:dontknow::dontknow:.

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
My in-laws matched 30 year old red oak to brand new red oak and all the flooring contractor did was mix a custom stain and stained the new oak to match, he did a great job. I can hardly tell the difference between the two floors even when staring at where the old meets the new. Sherwin Williams offers a free stain matching service which may be of help as well.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike is correct about S-W or any other reputable paint store.
I hesitate to recommend a BORG on this because they have too many mismatched paint samples for sale. :gar-Bi
If you take a few pieces of the new flooring and a few pieces of the old to match it to for range, they should be able to do it. Just be sure you have the same species. Many home built in the 50s use white oak instead of the red oak more prominent today.
Re-sanding isn't that expensive either if you choose to go that way, and it would help avoid any problems with stain overlap should they occur

Guys, I'm moving this post to the DIY-Home Improvement Forum. I believe it will be more appropriate there.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I am not staining any of the flooring, nor did any of the flooring have any staining on it. But the Question is still there, and maybe you have already answered it, in that sanding the entire floor down to bare wood then applying a clear coat.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Mac, the issue you are having to deal with, is that even though you may have a clear coat finish on the existing floor, it has taken on a patina which you would have to match with the new product to have it look right. Sanding the entire floor would be the best way to get a uniform appearance

Glennbear

Glenn
At the college I worked at, the gymnasium floor had a decades old multilayered poly finish. There was a water damage incident in one area and the contractor attempted to sand and refinish the area but it stuck out like a sore thumb :no:. When the entire floor was sanded and clear coated the repaired area completely disappeared. that may be the way for you to go. :wsmile:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
John,

+1 on the sanding recommendations you've gotten from the others. We went through a similar thing a couple of years ago. Added new white oak flooring adjacent to 20 year old oak flooring that'd been finished with an oil based product. Didn't want a yellow oil based finish.

Here's what the contractor did:
1. Sand the entire new/old areas down to bare wood.
2. Topcoat with Bona brand sealer.
3. Two finish coats of Bona water-borne clear poly. Used their industrial grade instead of homeowner grade for increased durability. It's a lot more expensive.

http://www.mybonahome.com/iWantTo/sand-and-finish-hardwood-floor.html

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Don't worry Geoff, it won't be any time soon. Back is still messed up.
I had my Dr appt. I was good for a day and since then I have been laid up with allot of pain going down my left leg all the way to the middle of my left knee on the back side.
My pain pills seem to have very little effect.
Let me tell you I have been some kind of miserable.
Calling the Dr. back again first thing this am to see if I can get in there.
Maybe another shot will work. Something has to give.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Don't worry Geoff, it won't be any time soon. Back is still messed up.
I had my Dr appt. I was good for a day and since then I have been laid up with allot of pain going down my left leg all the way to the middle of my left knee on the back side.
My pain pills seem to have very little effect.
Let me tell you I have been some kind of miserable.
Calling the Dr. back again first thing this am to see if I can get in there.
Maybe another shot will work. Something has to give.

Not to hijack a thread but I had some nerve endings zapped :gar-Cr and have had some good results except for the leg pain.
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS