Harbor Freight Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
This is the one that michaelgarner, and DaveO have. model # 34706, so I guess that might be the 'zipcode' lathe.... currently available on sale for $199 (until 26 December!), there are coupons available, for its cost, the machine is highly regarded, and probably what I will get when it comes down to it.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Pete,
The one on craigslist is the one in the link I included. They are asking $70. Do you think this is a good deal?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I think that one is like michaelgarners old HF lathe... I haven't seen the one you posted in the local HF, but the other, with the tube frame and no legs is there. priced the same. I guess for $70 it would be a steal, and good to try out. just looked at the pic again, looks like the base is cast iron, so that is probably a bunch better than the tube-frame one, and not the same that MG had.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Well....LOML said "Merry Christmas" if I want it. It also helps that she wants me to build her a bench that matches our dinette set and the legs will need to be turned. :eusa_danc

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
people often refer to the new line of Craftsman saws from Orion as the "'zipcode' saws" because of their 5 digit model number. It struck me that the HF lathe also has a 5 digit model number, hence 'zipcode lathe'

mac martin

New User
mac
I have one - got it about 2 years ago - with stand\legs, for 129$ - made a tray to go undet it and usuallybadd a "bunch of weight- sand bags, concrete block, old railroad rail, :lol: etc. to get it "rock" solid. Works for me. Might consider geting a better one when I get better at turning, and/or budget will allow. Right now am using it to turn new handles for some old lathe knives and wood chisles i bought at a flea market.

MikeH

New User
Mike
This is certainly not a gloat but, I did buy the above mentioned lathe. Now I REALLY need to clean my garage so I can actually work on it. I'm also still cleaning up the top of the table saw I bought.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I'll get some pics once I've gotten a stand built for it. Right now it is sitting on the floor as I have no place else to put it.

The cleaning and building must commence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors