Handy sanding aids

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
I am sitting here sanding on a trivet and thought I'd mention some of the sanding aids or tools that I use.

The first is "Scroll Sander sanding belts". These are located in stores and catalogs with the scroll saw blades. They come in two widths and two grits (at least that's all I've seen). They go in your scroll saw like a regular blade and come in either plain or pin-end. These are TERRIFIC to sand with while still at the scroll saw.

The second is called "Sanding Sticks". These are plastic and shaped with a down slope at the end and you put a sanding belt on them. Several grits of bands are available for these. These allow you to apply a little more pressure when "hand" sanding. I know these are available at WoodCraft and Klingspor, probably through Rockler and others.

The third one is called "Sanding Twigs". These look like thick nail files that have been cut up into narrow strips. They come in different grits and get into a lot of inside cuts when nothing else really does. The only place I've seen them is at Peachtree which will be at the Feb. show in Charlotte. Sorry I don't remember their whole name but you can look on page 2 of Feb. shows in the Members Announcement forum.

The fourth is an emery board. These are especially helpful if I need it to get into a tight place - I just cut them down to a point. The are also useful for narrow inside cuts.

I also buy the end of the rolls at the Klingspor store - the yellow paper in different grits. It's cheap, flexible and sizeable.

I'd love to know what other types of sanding aids everybody else uses.

woodguy1975

New User
John
I wonder if the abrasive cords could be good to use too. I use them on turnings from time to time, but never thought about using them on scroll work.

cskipper

Cathy
I've only tried them once - but wasnt coordinated enough to hold the piece I'm sanding and both ends of the cord. Once I am away from the saw I tend to do my sanding in front of the TV. If the piece was something I could put in a vice that would certainly work. I also tend to use crown blades when I cut intricate patterns. These are much slower cutting but require very little sanding when finished. Mostly just touching up the oops's and easing the edges.

Monty

New User
Monty
cskipper said:
I'd love to know what other types of sanding aids everybody else uses.
This one, mostly.

IMG_0189.jpg

;-)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
cskipper said:
The first is "Scroll Sander sanding belts". These are located in stores and catalogs with the scroll saw blades. They come in two widths and two grits (at least that's all I've seen). They go in your scroll saw like a regular blade and come in either plain or pin-end. These are TERRIFIC to sand with while still at the scroll saw.

Cathy, do the Sanding belts for the scrollsaw have the grit on both sides or just one side? If it is on both sides I could see where these would be very effective in sanding the inside cuts.

D L

cskipper

Cathy
That would be extra perfect. They only have it on one side - but you can flip it upside down to use the whole strip. There is another kind that has some kind of self-adhesive strips you put on a metal strip that gives you grit on both sides, but the thins strips are not wide enough to adhere to the metal of the other sheets and still fit inside tight spots. I think they make that one in a wider strip - but you would kind of lose the whole point of using it. Or I just don't understand how to use those.

Even with the sanding part on one side you can accomplish a lot of your inside sanding. Sometimes you have to detach it and turn the piece, but if you've had trouble with a specific spot - it's worth it.

Maybe you are on to an idea to patent.:icon_thum

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I've nearly bought a set of these severl times
92486.jpg

At woodworker's supply they're $7 for a set of 10 different shapes. Just so simple that they've gotta work!

R

rickc

Along with the sanding stick, emery boards, scroll saw sanding strips - I also use sanding sponges, sanding block and small pieces of discarded pvc pipe wrapped with sandpaper (for curves). Sponges cover the range of the 3M type (about 4" square and 1/4" thick, to the ones that are roughly 1"x 3"x 4"). Even been know to wrap sandpaper around a pencil to get at some of the tougher spots. I have seen some folks use the sanding flaps, and similar get ups.

The project drives a lot of the selection, as you have alluded to earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors