Handsaw skills workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'd like to see if anyone is interested in a handsaw skills workshop for September 15th at Bill Clemmons shop 10am-4pm. From breaking down stock to joinery, I would like demonstrate, coach, and give participants some drills to take with them for practice. The workshop can handle six participants, cost will be 30.00 donation to NCWW and 5 bucks for pizza. We will explore body alignment and posture, grip, how to follow the line. We will also explore cutting tenons, half laps, and dovetails. A small tool list will be in order, covering some marking and measuring instruments, a chisel, a dovetail saw, and any joinery saws that you may have, optional would be handsaws and or panel saws if they are sharp and ready, if not I have some that I'll have with me to share. This a fun workshop

list
1last Chance Wood Shop, Jason
2fredd, Frankie
3Tim Sherwood
4Stevenross, Steven
5jfynson, Jeremy
6jlimey, Jeff

stand by

Last edited:

gmakra

New User
George
The dynamic duo of Bill Cassidy and the Grey Beard Kid doin anuder edumancation thing.
Richard how about a definite maybe for me.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bummer, I will have to pass on this one. Too many things on the calendar already!

bash

New User
bash
Another class I need, but it falls on the day WVU is playing NCSU in Raleigh. As a born and raised Mountaineer …
Hopefully demand will be high and it will be offered again at a later date.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
The dynamic duo of Bill Cassidy and the Grey Beard Kid doin anuder edumancation thing.
Richard how about a definite maybe for me.

Ill put you on the list but will need to hear from you to firm things up.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Another class I need, but it falls on the day WVU is playing NCSU in Raleigh. As a born and raised Mountaineer …
Hopefully demand will be high and it will be offered again at a later date.

i understand, I had VT home seats for years when they were in the Big East. So have fun at the game!

Last edited:

stevenross

steven
User
details (specific as reasonable) on the "tool list" would be appreciated - new to "woodworking" (have been a "carpenter" living in/maintaining 100+ yr old homes). Barn burned last summer taking all 40+ yrs of tools with it so I am starting over acquiring tools

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sorry to hear of your loss, and thanks for the heads up. I'll post a list in a few days.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ok, a small tool list.
A square, a carpenters adjustable 12" square will be fine or a six inch square
a marking knife, me I prefer a spear point but any marking knife will work
a mortise gauge and a marking gauge
a 1/4" chisel, and a 1" chisel
a pencil
a dovetail marker if you have one
a dovetail saw filed rip, and carcass saw filed cross cut if you have them
any handsaws or panel saws if they are sharp and ready to use if you have them.
I certainly do not expect folks to go out and buy a crap load of tools they don't have to do this workshop. With one exception I hope that these are items that most folks have some or most of. I will have several handsaws and a few joinery saws with me for use in this workshop. I also will have a frame saw, and a bowsaw with me and if we have time which we should we will resaw a little and everyone can try, also you can try the 12" bowsaw and cut a few curves.
i hope this answers any questions if not please ask away.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good morning, just thought I'd ask and see if we have anymore interest for this workshop. I would like to a get least two more participants. If you want to improve your handsaw skills this is a fun workshop, as long as you ignore my bad jokes.

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Please sign me up. Thanks ! How do I donate the $30 ? Also can I get an address for the event ? I only have a Veritas dovetail saw that I'll bring along with some sharp chisels.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Please sign me up. Thanks ! How do I donate the $30 ? Also can I get an address for the event ? I only have a Veritas dovetail saw that I'll bring along with some sharp chisels.
If you scroll to the top of the page, you will see a green donate button. It will walk you through the process. Thanks.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Like Richard said there is a green donate button, but when you get there - click on "custom" and then enter $30, then follow the steps to enter your information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS