Handsaw Sharpening

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I have accumulated several handsaws over the years and probably need to sharpen them.

After looking around online a bit, I’m curious how others are sharpening their hand saws? I’d love to take a class, but I won’t have time for several years.

I’m thinking of getting a kit like this to begin, but wonder if there are pieces that will never get used?

Any tips to videos or tutorials that folks recommend?
I currently have saw vises and a saw set.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
It's not a bad kit, the files are good, and the holder is something I now use myself. I teach handsaw sharpening, but I don't have another workshop scheduled this year. If you want we could schedule a private class at my shop. I can in a six hour class take you through all of the basics of saw sharpening and give you glimpse at some advanced items to help you as you get better. Cost of a private class 150.00

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Looks like a good jump start for someone just starting out.
I'd also recommend a magnifying visor, good lighting and ear protectors. That screech of the file can be distracting like fingernails on the blackboard (if anyone here is old enough to remember that).

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Thanks all.

This gives me a starting point!

I would have never thought about screeching and it something to keep in mind. I was planning to practice at night after my kids are in bed, but I may have to rethink that plan now!

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
If your vise is set up right and you are working the Saw in the vise then you should not get a lot of screeching. Actually almost none. You hear the file removing material but not the nails across the chalk board stuff. If you are getting a lot of screeching then something is not right,

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Zach,
I think you are set with what you have, but I always look to Paul Sellers for his take and here is a compilation of handsaw sharpening and refurbishment:

rustisamust

New User
Joseph
To add to the pile of resources, Welcome to the Vintage Saws! is the tutorial that made it click for me.

I also got the Veritas kit when I started. I haven't used all the files on saws, but I've used enough, and the others get used for other stuff. The file guide is quite helpful, too.

You'll also want some file handles. Commercial ones are cheap, or you can use chunks of wood or wine corks.

EXKid

New User
Mark
My experience with learning how to sharpen was fantastic. Really, I’d say just dive in. Many likely to disagree with me, but I’ve found the nicholson files in the green bubble pack from the blue or orange home store work just fine. I’ve ordered the more expensive Portuguese and Italian files and they didn’t seem to make much difference to me.

The key is to take light pressure strokes. Don’t be fooled into thinking pressing down harder makes a better cut. The opposite in my experience. The light reflecting off the top of the tooth is something you’re trying to remove. It goes away easier with light cuts.

Also, only move the file in the cutting direction. Lift it up to return.

I bought a Wentworth flush mount saw vise off the auction site, and lined the jaws with leather. I mounted it to a 12x12 sheet of plywood and clamp it into my bench vise. Works great.

Have fun with this rabbit hole. When you get to the point where you’re looking at a Foley retoother, but can’t find those ratchet bars, let us know. There’s a workaround.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If your vise is set up right and you are working the Saw in the vise then you should not get a lot of screeching. Actually almost none. You hear the file removing material but not the nails across the chalk board stuff. If you are getting a lot of screeching then something is not right,
One thing I learned in Precision Machining school is to rub chalk on your file. Makes it last longer, not pack up with metal, and less noise.

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
Goodness. There must be enough to sawyers to get a class large enough for Graywolf. All the articles and videos I have didn't come close to the hands-on class he gives.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yep, I think we have enough interest now it's up to me to set a place and hammer down the date. I'll work on it this week in between jobs.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS