Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
We hand great interest in this workshop
Date July 14th
Place Bill Clemmons shop in Liberty NC
Time 10am-4ish.
This class can handle a max of 6 participants
Cost 30.00 donation to the web site and 5.00 bucks for pizza at lunch, or you can bring your own if you want.
we will sharpen one rip saw, one crosscut saw, and a dovetail saw.
We will explore tooth geometry and how and when that effects the performance of the saw. We will also cover sources for sharpening tools and materials along with what you need for your needs.
I will demonstrate what I do and then coach you through the process.

The list of who we have interested are

ScottM. Scott
Raymond, Raymond
BWhitney, Bruce
Vinson, Doug
gmakra, George
Junquecol, Bruce

reserve list
Jlimey, Jeff

so if anything changes with you guys please let me know so we can update the list .

Last edited:

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
Sign me up. Its on my calendar already.

Should we/can we bring our own saws? What about files and saw sets?

I haven't been to Bill's workshop before so I will need directions.

Last edited:

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
It's on my calendar. Looking forward to it. Will you send us the address for Bill Clemmon's shop and what we should plan to bring with us?

Edit: Sorry, but I won't be able to attend this workshop after all. Please cancel me out and remove my name from the attendee list.

Last edited:

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good question, if you have files and saws you want to sharpen that's fine but not necessary. If you have a saw vise that's great. I'm planing on having at least six vises there. I should have enough saw files as well. Saw sets I have a few and I'm betting that will be enough. I at this time have plenty of cross cut saws to be worked on I'll have to find few more rip saws, and some more dovetail saws. So with all that said if you have it and want to bring it that will be fine.

Bill will send out a PM to everyone right before the workshop with directions.

Last edited:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
If you don't have a saw to work on, I bet I can find one for you to practice on. :gar-La; And as Richard said, I'll send a PM to everyone a few days before the workshop w/ directions.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Richard, my regrets but I won't be able to attend this workshop after all. Please cancel me out and remove my name from the attendee list. I've edited my original reply to note this change in my status.

Hope the workshop goes well!

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sorry you can't make it Rush. Junquecol I'll move you up the list, let me know if you want it.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I look forward to seeing you. I have picked up six rip saws with teeth cut and no set, I also have six crosscut saws with varying tooth counts. I want to post this now, if you are interested in purchasing any of these saws after we finish the workshop they will be available for purchase cash only. I will sale these at my cost, I'm not trying to make a profit here. I just feel it's a great way for someone who may want a good saw that they have sharpened at a great price. If you don't that's ok I'll sale them elsewhere. Now that being said, I don't have but one or two dovetail saws for the class, so if you have one and you want to sharpen it then please bring it. You will be happy that did, and you will have the skill and the confidence to do it again when needed.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Richard, I have three new saws from Veritas that I have not used yet and want to make sure they are sharpened before I used them. I will bring them to the class.

Gents saw 20 tpi
Dovetail saw 14 tpi
Crosscut saw 16 tpi

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Looking ahead to this workshop scheduled for July 14, we need to see who is still interested. Below is the list Richard had in the first post of this thread. If you are on this list, could you please let us know if you still plan on attending. Thanks everyone.

ScottM. Scott
Raymond, Raymond
BWhitney, Bruce
Vinson, Doug
gmakra, George
Junquecol, Bruce

reserve list
Jlimey, Jeff

I'll send out directions and instructions a few days before the workshop.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looking ahead to this workshop scheduled for July 14, we need to see who is still interested. Below is the list Richard had in the first post of this thread. If you are on this list, could you please let us know if you still plan on attending. Thanks everyone.

ScottM. Scott
Raymond, Raymond
BWhitney, Bruce
Vinson, Doug
gmakra, George
Junquecol, Bruce

reserve list
Jlimey, Jeff

I'll send out directions and instructions a few days before the workshop.

I still plan to attend.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Can I bring a saw that is as old as Raymond?

This is to confirm my attendance and to answer George's reference to my antiquity.
I will have you know, George, that we used rope saws with sharpened flint rock embedded in it. :rotflm:

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
George, you can, if you have a dove tail saw please bring it, if we have enough time we will sharpen it. I have six rip saws with teeth cut that haven't been sharpened, this is a great place for everyone to start, when we finish the rip saws we will load up the crosscut saws I have and shape and sharpen these. The crosscut saws will take the longest. When we finish these I would like to introduce a couple advanced item having to do with saw sharpening and restoration of saws. From there backsaws will take center stage, and I would like to work with folks on the things you can do to improve a saws performance and things to look for when buying a used backsaw. We will have plenty of saw vises to work with and plenty of files. Plenty of handsaws, just need you to bring any dovetail or backsaws that you can. Oh and I want to see the saw that's older than Raymond:gar-La;.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I'm still in for the 14th. FYI, Liberty will be celebrating Liberty that day, with festivities down town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS