Hand Tool Wall Cabinet - work in progress

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just getting started. I really need a storage cabinet for all my hand tools
Cabinet sides will be cherry and door panels will be baltic birch with the front panel veneered with curly cherry
Overall dimensions are 55" wide by 30" tall by 15" deep.
To carry the weight the main hinges (one on each side) will be Roton geared continuous
The four interior door panels (26 x 28) will be hinged on standard piano hinges
Total tool storage will be just over 55 sq ft of storage
Here is a photo of the back box with an assortment of planes and such - each will have a top and bottom cleat
IMG_5279.jpg

I will update as progress continues.
My goal is to be complete by Dec 7 - the date of the RDU shop crawl

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow lots of little chariot planes. That's looking good Phil!

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Looking good! How do you plan to hang all the planes? Are you going to use my individual "skid" method? or do you plan to have them on an angled bed? I can bring one of my skids to the KE so you can see how I made mine if you'd like? Or I could do this:
2019-07-29 17.46.55.jpg

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Individual skids look like a great idea but I am just going to use a top and bottom cleat. Place the nose in the top cleat, slide up and then drop the heel into the bottom cleat. The wooden and the chariot planes will sit on small shelves

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Phil, great start...when you have it completed, I am sure it will be impressive!

UncleJoe

Joe
Senior User
Looks like a great project. I will be following and borrowing any good ideas I see as there is a tool cabinet in my not too distant future

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I know work your attention to details out will be quite the sight for the crawl.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Looking GREAT! The hinges looks to be seriously heavy duty! I am also impressed with your methods of plane hanging and storage!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Slow and steady the project continues. I have the plane and hammer level done plus the chisel level and marking and measuring levels. Next up is the saw level, then two for carving, one for inlay tools and on and on. Sure is nice to get all the hand tools in one place

IMG_5407.jpg
IMG_5408.jpg
IMG_5409.jpg
IMG_5410.jpg

A tad time consuming

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Those are the push to release latches. Originally designed for car hoods, had them collecting dust so I found a new use

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Phil, this is a very impressive tool cabinet; it is well-planned and well-built! It would be interesting to know how much the cabinet and contents weigh when it is completed!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS