Hand Tool Wall Cabinet - work in progress

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Is all of that in just one cabinet? Does it have tri-fold doors or something? That is amazing.
Here is my plan set - not exactly detailed but my normal
IMG_5411.jpg

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Very impressive when I saw it in progress. So how many weeks will it be before you exhaust the space for 'new tools'? Might help others to explain how you reinforced the wall to handle the weight.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I'm curious about your corner brackets, were those just for ease of construction?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
The corner brackets are to hopefully keep the internal wings square under the weight stress. The panels are a 1/2" plywood panel rabbited into a frame which is hinged to the main box - not all that strong. I was worried about the wings sagging so I added the corner brackets to help. I probably should have used a design that could have held the weight while still looking good - the brackets certainly do not look to good. I tend to remember what my structural subcontractor has said many times. "When in doubt make it stout". Thanks for the feedback

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
The corner brackets are to hopefully keep the internal wings square under the weight stress. The panels are a 1/2" plywood panel rabbited into a frame which is hinged to the main box - not all that strong. I was worried about the wings sagging so I added the corner brackets to help. I probably should have used a design that could have held the weight while still looking good - the brackets certainly do not look to good. I tend to remember what my structural subcontractor has said many times. "When in doubt make it stout". Thanks for the feedback

My dad always said “anything worth engineering is worth over engineering”

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I've always admired these types of tool cabinets and the effort that goes into making them. Yours is looking good, Phil.

But, for me, I always run into things like I see 4 Two Cherries chisels. Where am I going to put the 5th one when I get it?

FrankK

New User
Frank
Very, very impresive! Just curious.......since you have a place for each item, and I see no space left over - if you buy just one more tool, does that mean another cabinet? o_O

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very, very impresive! Just curious.......since you have a place for each item, and I see no space left over - if you buy just one more tool, does that mean another cabinet? o_O
I agree, that could be a problem.
Phil - if you acquire more hand tools that don't fit, I graciously offer to take it off your hands, just so you don't have to redo the cabinet. That's me, always trying to be helpful.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS