Hand Saw Files

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Has anyone used this brand of files?

Tome

I was going to order the Veritas guide with the Bahco files, but it’s out of stock until May 15.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Can’t say that I have, but I ordered that set just to find out.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Just a reminder....the link took me to an Amazon page! NOT a SMILE.Amazon.....page! Help support the site, it won't cost you any more!

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Your feedback is much appreciated Richard! I’ve never sharpened a saw and I value feedback from someone that teaches saw sharpening.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not a problem, I would given them a try just to see. They are worth using or not.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hello everyone, I’m sure you’ve been waiting with bated breath to hear about this. I’ve been working on job sites all week and haven’t had time to really look at these. However, I’m home with a beer in hand and time to have a look. Up front and I hope you can understand the packaging is in the recycle bin right out of the gate. The size range is nice but a seven slim instead of a six regular would have been nicer. I have them laid out on the bench and I look at them.
69BACFAD-74B1-4662-B56D-2B2D28AEEB7D.jpeg

6954B9B7-47F3-42F8-A255-8A725F088107.jpeg

C1FE8916-5BB1-4D53-9CC6-E6B41F5095D3.jpeg

after a brief inspection the two I’ve drawn below the row are ill formed and could be used but not first quality.
FF182D27-F6FC-47DA-B98D-18554F5F1766.jpeg

as you can see the taper on this edge is inconsistent and would create a bad filing on a saw.
62EA6FAF-885F-460A-AFB6-411266F4CC88.jpeg

on this one it’s a crooked as Fido's hind leg. Not good.
all of them had inconsistencies but those were the worst. Good files are hard to come by these days. Would I buy them again, no. I can spend my money on saw files at other places. A good example would be tools for working wood. Another would be Black Burn tools. A third would be old new stock on eBay or a tool meet like Mid Western Tool Collectors meetings there are several in this state and our neighboring states.
I’ll probably just send these back.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Thanks for the feedback Richard!

This is feedback is exactly what I had hoped for.

I’ll have to look into the other mail order options.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for the feedback Richard!

This is feedback is exactly what I had hoped for.

I’ll have to look into the other mail order options.
They have web sites with order platforms.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Size is important! the file body should be twice the depth of the gullet, so you have 3 complete sets of sharpening surfaces. If the file is small, it wears out on just 2 surfaces rendering the file to just one set of filing surfaces.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS