Hand Plane Storage Cabinet Finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
I completed a walnut cabinet to store some of my larger bench planes. Room for 2 each - No. 8, 7, 6, and 5. I also included storage in the doors for some AI chisels and mortise chisels and a few hand saws.

I rough dimensioned with power jointer and planer but used hand tools for final flattening, smoothing and all joinery. 29" high x 31" long (62 inches open doors).

I used some walnut ply that Russ Denz had for sale. Very nice stuff. Used some cherry ply for the main carcass rear panel.

Finished with Watco danish oil. Rare earth magnet stops. Waiting on some simple brass knobs for pulls.

It's great to get the longer planes in the wall cabinet and free up valuable space in the shop. :gar-Bi

Chuck

IMG_3587.JPG

IMG_36011.JPG

IMG_3580.JPG

IMG_35821.JPG

IMG_3583.JPG

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Very nice Chuck! Looks like you need room for a smoother though too :).
Salem

Moving the larger planes opened up space in the bottom drawers of the workbench. Now I can store the 3's and 4's in one drawer and the 5's, 5 1/2, and low angle smoother in the other. The drawers are pretty handy during use. I had the planes stored lying on the sides for a while but it is much more convenient keeping them sole down. I have a 1/4 ply strip under the toes to keep the blades off the drawer bottom.

IMG_3572.JPG

I have five No 5's. They keep multiplying. :gar-Bi

IMG_3571.JPG

I left room beside the wall cab to build another one for future expansion. :gar-La;

Chuck

eyekode

New User
Salem
I don't feel so bad then. I only have 3 #5's that are in good user condition and one that needs repair :). Nice kit!
Salem

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
That is a beautiful cabinet. The bookmatched door panels look awesome. :thumbs_up

M

McRabbet

Nice job, Chuck. Great choice of woods and excellent design. One thing you might want to alter is the way you store your large planes in their upright position. A "cleaner" approach can be achieved with some potent rare earth magnets. Here is Randy Osborne's Marsh Plane Colllection in the Cabinet he designed and which I took in his memory to the Mid-West Tool Collectors Assoc. national meeting in October 2010 where it took two First Prizes. Randy's design used rare earth magnets behind the veneer near the top of each plane (some have 2 magnets) so that the planes will stand upright in a simple slot at the bottom. A simple grab of the knob or tote frees them from their home. By the way, this collection also took First Place at the M-WTCA meeting in Madison GA in early February this year.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Wow! That is a lot of planes. Thanks for the tip on the magnets. When I built mine I didn't give it enough slope and it only really holds #5 and larger well. Plus #4's and smaller don't have a lip on the back so the same mechanism I used for the larger planes can't work. But I can use thin dividers and magnets as in Randy's case. Thanks for the tip!

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Nice job, Chuck. Great choice of woods and excellent design. One thing you might want to alter is the way you store your large planes in their upright position. A "cleaner" approach can be achieved with some potent rare earth magnets. Here is Randy Osborne's Marsh Plane Colllection in the Cabinet he designed and which I took in his memory to the Mid-West Tool Collectors Assoc. national meeting in October 2010 where it took two First Prizes. Randy's design used rare earth magnets behind the veneer near the top of each plane (some have 2 magnets) so that the planes will stand upright in a simple slot at the bottom. A simple grab of the knob or tote frees them from their home. By the way, this collection also took First Place at the M-WTCA meeting in Madison GA in early February this year.

Wow!

Thanks for sharing a magnificent collection and a neat idea for improving accessibility!

The first time I met Randy he walked around the tables at the Hillsborough MWTCA meet and helped me find a few Stanley bench planes - my first smoothers. Apparently he had a pretty good eye for Marsh planes too. :cool:

I did use rare earth magnets for the door catch! :gar-La;

Chuck

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Chuck, I too like your design. Rob, did Randy know which planes were going into each place ahead of time, so that he knew where to put the magnets? Or are the magnets spaced at even intervals along the length of each slot?

Doug

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Both are beautiful cabinets, thanks for sharing with us. I only have three hand planes but plan to expand my collection. There was one at a second hand shop the last time I was there. If it is still available on thursday I think it will be mine. I just started using one of mine after Scott adjusted it for me. Again, thanks for sharing.

M

McRabbet

Rob, did Randy know which planes were going into each place ahead of time, so that he knew where to put the magnets? Or are the magnets spaced at even intervals along the length of each slot?
Doug

Randy made a prototype cabinet that helped him work out the design. As he finalized the design for the cabinet I've shown, he calculated the width of each of the seven veneered panels that make up the back so that each seam line would fall behind the walnut and maple inside separators so the seams would not be readily visible. In addition, the widths of each plane determined the pback panel widths and their lengths determined where the magnets had to be placed in the panel substrate. He never assembled the cabinet nor made the inner partitions (a WNCWA member and I made those) and I assembled the unit and applied some finish to the new components. Fortunately, I discovered he had installed the magnets before I attacked them as I did the assembly! (I found that out from a friend of his on the phone the prior evening). The magnets are only near the knob end of each plane.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Both are beautiful cabinets, thanks for sharing with us. I only have three hand planes but plan to expand my collection. There was one at a second hand shop the last time I was there. If it is still available on thursday I think it will be mine. I just started using one of mine after Scott adjusted it for me. Again, thanks for sharing.

Nice to see that you are slipping down the hand plane slope! :gar-La;

I see a cabinet in your future!

Chuck

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Randy made a prototype cabinet that helped him work out the design. As he finalized the design for the cabinet I've shown, he calculated the width of each of the seven veneered panels that make up the back so that each seam line would fall behind the walnut and maple inside separators so the seams would not be readily visible. In addition, the widths of each plane determined the pback panel widths and their lengths determined where the magnets had to be placed in the panel substrate. He never assembled the cabinet nor made the inner partitions (a WNCWA member and I made those) and I assembled the unit and applied some finish to the new components. Fortunately, I discovered he had installed the magnets before I attacked them as I did the assembly! (I found that out from a friend of his on the phone the prior evening). The magnets are only near the knob end of each plane.

Rob - every time I think of you doing this for Randy I get something in my eyes and have to wipe them off.

Don't know what else to say. You're a great guy.

Chuck

M

McRabbet

Randy was a good friend and a superb woodworker -- what I've done to help since his passing last June has been in tribute to that friendship and has helped me through a very tough 9 months since my wife passed away. As part of my efforts, I was able to sell most of Randy's power tools and nearly 75 of his hand planes, raising over $6,000 for his widow. I see it as paying it forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS