Hand plane sharpening and set-up

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I was taught by a master tool and die maker how to do it freehand. I still can, but a guide and paper on glass is what I do now.
I have a WorkSHop and a Mikata, but still do most by hand.

By biggest problem is quality of paper.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Interesting timing on your post Hank. I just was trying my hand at some of this this afternoon. Thanks for the video, there were bits in there that I had no idea about - so quite helpful (and I am a real plane novice).

I have inherited a few planes from my Dad, the longer of which I had not used until two days ago. When I looked at the edge I noted that it was quite badly nicked. I managed to use it for what I needed it for, but resolved to work on it to properly sharpen and set it.

In disassembly, I noticed that the screw holding the double blade together was missing on this plane. How does one go about acquiring such a screw? The screw from my other bench plane did fit these threads, so I 'know' what I need.

I know a pic would help - just not there right now. Are these parts common and available, or hard to find?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
By biggest problem is quality of paper.
Solution: Bargain bin at Klingspor or 10# or 20# Bargain box of abrasive... spray adhesive to your glass or granite and you are in business!

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Excellent - thanks Matt.
Of course it would help if I actually knew the brand of plane(s) I own; they are all the same style as in the FWW video, with 2" wide blades. Despite my long time hobby, I'm so new to these (or actually to writing anything about these) that I am uncertain of all the proper terms. Thanks for helping with terminology too.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Excellent - thanks Matt.
Of course it would help if I actually knew the brand of plane(s) I own; they are all the same style as in the FWW video, with 2" wide blades. Despite my long time hobby, I'm so new to these (or actually to writing anything about these) that I am uncertain of all the proper terms. Thanks for helping with terminology too.
@Henry W shoot a picture, I am sure we can help you identify the plane, the blade and what you need to ask for...
Just guessing, but a 2" wide blade, should be a #4, and if that is right, a pretty ubiquitous plane with lots of parts available...
another option would be Ed Lebetkin who runs the tool store over the Woodwrights School in Pittsboro
Ed's Tool Store — The Woodwright’s School

you can e-mail him, if he has any parts, but include those pictures.
edlebetkin@gmail.com

I can look this weekend if I have any parts, but need to confirm the plane you have...

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
@Henry W shoot a picture, I am sure we can help you identify the plane, the blade and what you need to ask for...
Just guessing, but a 2" wide blade, should be a #4, and if that is right, a pretty ubiquitous plane with lots of parts available...
another option would be Ed Lebetkin who runs the tool store over the Woodwrights School in Pittsboro
Ed's Tool Store — The Woodwright’s School
Excellent - I need an excuse to run over to Pittsboro (for a screw!). Any excuse will do.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
For your priceless advice to date, I will pick up anything you want from Ed's place. It's your task to convince him to let me walk out with it.
LOL - YUP! you got the better of me on that one! if you do go, and e-mail or better yet call ahead, please say hello from Hank!

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ed isn't allowing visitors yet, but he'll start taking appointments soon(ish). A few months ago, he said that you'd need proof of vaccination to get into the store.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Thanks Matt - I would have called ahead to find out, but it turned out that I have found my missing screw (still have a screw loose though, haha ) so I likely won't be heading to Pittsboro to buy anything there for Hank.

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Matt - I would have called ahead to find out, but it turnd out that I have found my missing screw (still have a screw loose though, haha ) so I likely won't be heading to Pittsboro to buy anything there for Hank.
HEY! you already commited - you still have to go - stand outside with a HUGE "sad face" and maybe you can get something for both if us?!

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
HEY! you already committed - you still have to go - stand outside with a HUGE "sad face" and maybe you can get something for both if us?!
or maybe 'pick up' something for each of us?!
I have pics of my planes now, but will start another thread to detail my woes

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
or maybe 'pick up' something for each of us?!
I have pics of my planes now, but will start another thread to detail my woes
HEY!
Some people are bilingual others even have command of more than two languages. I am simply auditing the english language class - and haven't signed up for the writing class yet, trying to decide if it is going to be beneficial!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS