Hand-made Marking Guage

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Hey friends,
Just wanted to show you how I spent my satuday aftroon. This was a plan from wood magazine #158 Oct 2004. It was fun making it, I ordered the parts kit online and milled the wood. It is made from Maple and Bubinga. I finished it up with BLO and will sharpen the cutters after a couple coats of finish. Im excited to use a hand tool I made. God bless everyone.

Attachments

• 100_0590.jpg
    100_0590.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 179
  • 100_0591.jpg
    100_0591.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 181

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Thanks for the compliments. Fore those that dont know, one side is a marking scribe and the other is a mortising scribe.

Monty

New User
Monty
Looks nice! I have checked out that plan before... Wood has several pretty good hand tool projects.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Michael, that looks awesome, and I am sure it will work as well as it looks. After I bought :oops: a making gauge, I've found it extremely handy around the shop.
I am very glad that you got to spend your day (Vet's Day) in your shop, at your home, in the USA :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dave (glad to have you back and making sawdust again):)

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Great Job Michael :icon_thum I also have the parts to make marking gauge just have not done it yet :slap:

M

McRabbet

Very nice work, Michael -- I'm sure you're happy to be in the wood shop and out of the sand box. Our best to you and your family and to all of those fellow service men and women who serve us to preserve our freedom; and to those who have served before you as well. You need to inscribe the brass with "Veteran's Day, 2006" to remember how special this project has been!

Rob

J

jeff...

Mike, awesome job and a great way to spend Veterans Day Thanks you for protecting our freedom - stay blessed

skeeter

New User
Charles
Very nice looking marking gauge. I would also like to say thanks to you and service men and women everywhere on Veterans Day!!

dozer

Mike
Michael great looking tool and best of all everytime you use it you will know that you made it. I need to find a copy of those plans I need to make myself a marking gauge. Keep up the good work and glad you could be home with your family no this Vet's day.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I am impressed. And the two woods go together so well. Sign and date it though. In the years to come someone else will use it with pride especially if they are family.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
thanks everyone for the compliments. If anyone would like one just let me know. I am making one for my friend Pete, and I have enought to make a couple more. Even though I made a couple errors on the firts one Im going to keep it for myself. God bless

mac martin

New User
mac
M - Have a few "store-bought" and don't know what I did before. Makes woodworking a whole lot more fun.

Great job on yours. ( Did the article mention anything about sharpening the pins? I have read and have shaped my with a flat side on the tapered scribe points. (Cuts a cleaner line, less tear-out)

God bless you and all the troops. Wish you all home soon.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
thanks everyone for the compliments. If anyone would like one just let me know. I am making one for my friend Pete, and I have enought to make a couple more. Even though I made a couple errors on the firts one Im going to keep it for myself. God bless

You have a very lucky friend! :) Thank you! I am constantly humbled by your kindness and generosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS