Hall Table

Bill J

Bill
User
I finally finished the hall table that my wife "commissioned" as the first project for my new shop. Curly maple and sapelle with a bloodwood accent stripe. She wanted a glossy finish - I lost count of the number of number of coats of poly and sandings but the top came out glass smooth. I love the Klingspor 600 grit paper!
I think I need to find a good finishing course after COVID.

Attachments

• 2020-11-10 17.56.55.jpg
    2020-11-10 17.56.55.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 329

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Tat is a nice looking table.

Most people don't need a finishing course, they need a sanding course.
Looks like you got that down.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree that is one NICE looking table.
I LOVE the leg design!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
very nice table and finish. 1200 grit wet dry paper and some rottenstone and water with a felt block will get you all the shine you need.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I finally finished the hall table that my wife "commissioned" as the first project for my new shop. Curly maple and sapelle with a bloodwood accent stripe. She wanted a glossy finish - I lost count of the number of number of coats of poly and sandings but the top came out glass smooth. I love the Klingspor 600 grit paper!
I think I need to find a good finishing course after COVID.
My "How to improve your finishing' class was a few years ago in a NCWW spray finishing hands on class hosted at Phil's. It got me started on the journey of spray finishing, and I am happier with my results since then. I am not typically aiming for super glossy though, and I keep most finishes to the minimal amount, but it is much easier than you might think.
One piece of advice I recall reading is to pick a finish and get good at it; using consistent materials and method, with practice / repetition. Adding another one or two finishes after that one you mastered and you have a few decent options. For example on tables that I expect to get a lot of drinks or spills I use a conversion varnish, other lighter duty tables (like a desk) I have just sprayed lacquer. I just use water based stuff from Target, and all the ones I have tried have worked very well for a novice spray finisher. This has proven it self as a worthy investment and my finishing is much more consistent and predictable in both the process and time required.

And after all that, a beautiful result, nicely done.

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
My "How to improve your finishing' class was a few years ago in a NCWW spray finishing hands on class hosted at Phil's.

I had to miss that class and I am SO regretting it!
I am hopeful when all this madness is over with Phil will host another one...
I think Dan (Danmart77) did a coloring class too, and I hope we could get enough people to have a re-do on that one too!

build4fun

New User
Brian
Nice Project! I was especially curious about how you made the bottom of the legs as that is a nice detail? I can see they are tapered along the length and the bottom portion was made from different materials. Can you explain how you made the material transitions at the bottom of the legs?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS