Half-size chest

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
Thank you for sharing this. I want to make one similar in the future. This thread has given me lots of insight as to its design but I do have a few questions:

How did you get the profile on the feet so sharp? Did you cut them out on a scroll saw or by hand and how did you clean them up so well?

Also how does the case sit on the feet? Do the feet have a ledge for it to sit on?

Thank you

Jacob
The profile was rough cut on the bandsaw then finished with rasps and card scraper and sandpaper.

The case sits on glue blocks. It is screwed to the glue blocks using elongated holes in the rear blocks to allow for wood movement.
On the original the feet were nailed to the case via the overlapping molding. That didn’t last and it was repaired with added glue blocks. I decided to go for glue locks from the get go. The entire piece is glued with hide glue so repair is always possible.

cmboggs

Chris
User
Even though it is half the size, your attention to detail and craftsmanship are still 100%.

Just curious to know...what do you keep in a half-size chest of drawers?

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Jacob, the original (full-size) version of this chest is at the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts in Winston-Salem. Not too far from you, might be a nice trip. The original is yellow pine, stained mahogany red.

Roy G

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
Jacob, the original (full-size) version of this chest is at the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts in Winston-Salem. Not too far from you, might be a nice trip. The original is yellow pine, stained mahogany red.

Roy G

Unfortunately, they deaccessioned it and sold it a few years ago to benefit the new acquisitions fund. They still have the files and photos of the piece, however in their database.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
In the top view, it appears a pencil line is still visible where the base of the dovetails was set. Is this intentional? I kind of like showing the craftsmanship that went into it, but it could look like a mistake to someone else who doesnt appreciate it.
Great job either way!

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
In the top view, it appears a pencil line is still visible where the base of the dovetails was set. Is this intentional? I kind of like showing the craftsmanship that went into it, but it could look like a mistake to someone else who doesnt appreciate it.
Great job either way!
Not a mistake at all. When you hand-cut dovetails, you use a knife/marking gauge to mark the baseline of the dovetails.

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
Great job either way!
You’re correct. Some folks don’t like the knifed baselines left showing. When I build for a commission I always check to find out the buyers preferences and I follow them. When building for myself I generally leave them. Maybe I should be more professional.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Unfortunately, they deaccessioned it and sold it a few years ago to benefit the new acquisitions fund. They still have the files and photos of the piece, however in their database.

I tried searching the MESDA collections in Winston-Salem but need to know the name of the original builder, when, and where it was built. Mr. C. Lynch did the measured drawings from his studies of the original chest.

Did they have the 1/2 size chest or did you scale down the original Carlyle Lynch chest from a CL plan? Just curious. The original chest was 32" w x 19" d x 42" h. What are the dimensions of you scaled down chest?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS