H&L vs. PSA; Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
All of my sanders are PSA (except one I use for bowls on the lathe). These are Porter Cable random orbit sanders. I purchased them because the sanding disk were so much cheaper. I was wondering if anyone has used both--this is mainly for large area flat sanding--and if you have an opinion on either. One thing I like about PSA is the sanding pad is firm and allows me to sand up to and over a corner or profile without rounding it or "softening" it up. I am concerned that the H&L system has just enough "give" between the sanding disk and the machine pad to allow it to round off or "soften" up a corner. I'm not sure I have any problems with the PSA system except that occasionally when I lift up the sander the disk will come sailing off the pad. Not a really big problem. I have read that H&L disk last much longer than PSA disk but really don't have any experience with it to know if that's true. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has opinions about this.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have used both and IMO, hook and loop is better. Paper is reusable, but that doesn't happen much for me. I do believe the paper lasts longer though. I would theorize that since it isn't straight on the sander it dissipates heat a bit better, but I have no basis for that opinion. Sometimes the PSA paper can be hard to get off, say if it has been on the sander a bit. Sure, I could just use the sander and warm the paper/glue up, but that would make too much sense:roll:. I mean, when I want to change the paper, I want to change it now and fight with peeling it off......

I have not had any issues/rounding off or softening corners whatsoever. Really there isn't any give. As for the PSA coming flying off, I have had that happen with H&L when the pad on the sander is worn out.

H&L does cost a bit more, but I think it is worth the difference.

M

McRabbet

I must agree with Travis on use of Look and Loop paper. The only sanding tools I have that are PSA are my Worksharp 3000 and an old Porter-Cable Profile Sander. The WS needs PSA to insure precise flatness on the glass wheels; the P-C sander has components to sand into curves and depressions and frankly, is not well designed as the paper comes off too easily. All of my pandom orbit sanders and my drum sander use H&L and they work flawlessly. The 5- and 8-hole ROS models I have also allow very good dust extraction. My drum sander is a 26" Woodmaster that uses 6" wide H&L -- expensive, but produces excellent results if used properly (never try to take off too much in one pass -- DAMHIKT).

Except for the Worksharp, I use nothing but Klingspor paper and buy in money-saving quantity size boxes.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I've used both and much prefer H&L. And I know that I used to leave PSA disks on much longer than I should have due to the difficulty in removing/re-installing the paper. In fact, I've tossed a lot of PSA because the sticky picked up dirt and couldn't be re-used. I switched about 15 years ago and haven't had any problems with rounding over. In fact, using a 6" Rotex will certainly test the 'softness' concerns and it's not a factor. I keep a hard pad mounted most of the time, but switch to a soft pad when needed.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Attended a TWA meeting a few months back where Coleman was the presenter. He did a great presentation on sander paper. The biggest enemy of sand paper is heat. H&L heats up less then PSA because it is not on a hard surface. BTW H&L is all I use.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
h&l it allows me to switch grits back and forth and all are easily reuseable. Tried psa once in the shop that was it H & L all the way

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I have both (PSA air sanders, H&L electric sanders), and much prefer H&L for the reasons stated so well by others.

Scott

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I have both - PSA (Pneumatic Sander Attachment with self stick pads / ie. RAS for the compressor :) ) for when you really want to chew up some wood / H&L electric RAS for when you want wood good and smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS